Community Contributions

Started by hadesflames, June 04, 2011, 10:09:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IchBin™

That's what happens when you don't have a job or anything to do.
IchBin™        TinyPortal

live627

IchBin™

Quote from: IchBin™ on July 10, 2011, 03:00:28 AM
That's what happens when you don't have a job or anything to do.

I should clarify regarding my last comment since it would appear my last comment wasn't taken for what I meant. Some people choose to do different things depending on what kind of deal life hands them. Arantor chose to do SMF stuff and spent countless hours here helping the community and SMF. My remark wasn't intended to disparage Arantor or his contribution. My remark was basically saying  that's what I would do if I didn't have a job and other things to do. Maybe not to the extreme that Arantor did, but I put myself in the same category if I was in the same situation.
IchBin™        TinyPortal

live627

I resemble that remark, if I may so boldly steal that from Kat.

HecKel

Excuse me for restarting this topic, hopefully we can keep going without political and personal attacks.

Considering the new SMF license, it makes a lot of sense to me to widely open the community contributions. Some of the alternatives I read over here were about posting code blocks on topics, this is a way to do it but definitely not a practical one. Why not starting to use GIT? SVN is quite overpast by now and quite hard to control quality code. Git lets you do more than that, hierarchical share and based on trust commits and updates. With Git you can create a tree of commits and let the code flow to the main trunk passing through a lot of revisions, something as happens with Linux.

I really hope you consider alternative ways to let the community help even more SMF.
Quote from: Eliana Tamerin on August 23, 2008, 04:10:10 PM
SMF 7 is where it gets good. That has time travel. You can go back and post before the guy who flamed you. :P

Illori

there is discussion about moving to GIT instead of SVN, but it will take time to do the conversion and then setup the permissions that are needed to go along with it.

Alex' Manson

Quote from: (F.L.A.M.E.R) on July 09, 2011, 06:33:30 AM
- Personal Reasons -

End of discussion.

alright enough, even if this will cause my account get banned but ****** it, you are such a dumbass.. yes you flamer.. all you know is ******ing with me, this is not the first time you start flaming at me (i guess that's why your name is flamer) and you can check that from my other chit chat topic and so on.
every team-member i saw on smf is lovely and cool, except you, you think i am just going to shutup and keep you trolling me everywhere because you are a staff member? no sorry... all i can say is leave me alone.
you just think you can do anything anytime, you are abusing your powers and that won't scare me.. yeah go on, report this and ban me, but what i wanted to say has been said, you are annoying.
and who are you to make me end the discussion? end it for yourslef, i still want it to be open .. mind it? >:(
PS- someone already told me why he has a guest account and everything.

so now, here's a real END OF DISCUSSION.  ;)

青山 素子

Ooooooh. Drama.

Sisko Punk, I think you are perhaps being a bit out-of-line. You asked an unrelated question in a topic, got a response that it was a personal reason and a shorthand request to not pursue the matter further on this board.

So, what do you do? Start doing exactly what you accuse the team member of doing and flaming on what it an otherwise-civilized discussion about repository formats. Perhaps you should try stepping back and calming down before posting such an assault.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

Alex' Manson

he is always annoying me check my chit chat topic for example.. even another member made him a remark to calm down and leave me alone.. he is annoying me.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Yes, Flamer's response could have been worded better. No, there was nothing wrong with the actual reply.
The team generally do not share information like that, it is up to each leaving team member to explain them selves IF they want to.
Just like 青山 素子 explained already.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Alex' Manson

well, as you said it could be worded better, but it's not the first time he does it to ME,
here's an example: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=441735.msg3104386#msg3104386

he should LEAVE ME ALONE.
who does he think he is?

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

I actually agree that example seems like he had a bad day there...

But I would ask that, in the future, both of you try to refrain from making further posts directed at each other, unless really necessary, and try to avoid needless confrontation.
So in short, I'm asking you both to just let it go, to save others from having to deal with it...
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Norv

Quote from: HecKel on July 23, 2011, 08:04:25 AM
Excuse me for restarting this topic, hopefully we can keep going without political and personal attacks.

Considering the new SMF license, it makes a lot of sense to me to widely open the community contributions. Some of the alternatives I read over here were about posting code blocks on topics, this is a way to do it but definitely not a practical one. Why not starting to use GIT? SVN is quite overpast by now and quite hard to control quality code. Git lets you do more than that, hierarchical share and based on trust commits and updates. With Git you can create a tree of commits and let the code flow to the main trunk passing through a lot of revisions, something as happens with Linux.

I really hope you consider alternative ways to let the community help even more SMF.

Sorry for getting back to you so late, Heckel. I agree. Unfortunately this summer has been really tough on my time, and I didn't manage to set up everything here yet as intended, only in part, but things will pick up once it's done. Thank you for sharing your proposals. :)
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

Advertisement: