oops! I messed up my forum after a mod, but i do have a back-up

Started by blue_fairy, June 07, 2011, 10:38:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blue_fairy

As the topic title already said: I messed up my forum after installing a mod, but i DO have a back-up! Yay!

So... err... now what?
We use version 2.0 RC5

How can I go back to the forum-before-the-mod? Do I need to import the whole database in the PHP myAdmin thingy? Because my forum is +/- 21 mb, and I can only import 8mb files via that... if not I have to figure out how mysqldumper works - again...

Using SMF 2.0 RC5

kat

Restore the backup! Yay!

How did you backup?

WHAT did you backup?

If you backed-up from within the SMF admin panel, all you have is the database. :(

If you backed-up from CPanel and you backed up the site (Home directoory) and the database, you can restore them from CPanel>Flies>Backups.

If not, you might need this:

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=400356.0

blue_fairy

I used the in-forum back-up option in the SMF admin panel. I only screwed up the forum, homepage is working fine :)
Using SMF 2.0 RC5

kat

Sorry, but that thing in SMF Admin is a pain in the bum, as far as I'm concerned, because it gives people a mistaken sense of security and wellbeing.

All that saves, is the database. Nothing else.

And, if the forum goes PHUT!, how can you restore it from SMF admin panel?

You can't!

Your best bet, I believe, is that link I gave you.

blue_fairy

OK I downloaded the back-up file, un-gz-ed it, un-tar-ed it.
Can I FTP the files just like that with my FTP programme? Or do I need to use the mysqldumper?
Using SMF 2.0 RC5

blue_fairy

Quote from: K@ on June 07, 2011, 10:49:10 AM
Sorry, but that thing in SMF Admin is a pain in the bum, as far as I'm concerned, because it gives people a mistaken sense of security and wellbeing.

All that saves, is the database. Nothing else.

And, if the forum goes PHUT!, how can you restore it from SMF admin panel?

You can't!

Your best bet, I believe, is that link I gave you.
I agree.... It makes no0bs like me think that they did well w/backup-ing, only to find out we didn't back-up 90% of the forum...
Using SMF 2.0 RC5

twig/al

blue_fairy

Quote from: twig/al on June 07, 2011, 10:54:14 AM
Did you try uninstalling the mod?
Can't be done... I get this beautiful 500 Internal Server Error:
QuoteInternal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, -------------- and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
Using SMF 2.0 RC5

live627

Quote from: blue_fairy on June 07, 2011, 10:49:59 AM
OK I downloaded the back-up file, un-gz-ed it, un-tar-ed it.
Can I FTP the files just like that with my FTP programme? Or do I need to use the mysqldumper?
FTP then, yes.

blue_fairy

Using SMF 2.0 RC5

live627

blue_fairy

unfortunately not... i've tried to restore a back-up from the back up directory, but that doesn't seem to be it... It seems to be the database itself... So I'm trying to restore it now, but since it's so big, it has to be done with a big detour... *sigh*
Using SMF 2.0 RC5

blue_fairy

apparently there was missing a # in the .htaccess file...
All I needed to do was type a #.... *@&#!&*@!  Fun indeed...  Can't wait till my kids grow up so they can do the hard work for me ;)

But everything is working again now! Yay! And I've learned a lot ;) Thanks guys!
Using SMF 2.0 RC5

Advertisement: