News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

Orphan boards/categories?

Started by wynnyelle, June 09, 2011, 03:19:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wynnyelle

Does SMF 2.0 allow for the creation of hidden/orphan boards?

I want to possibly set up boards that do not show up on the navigation, trees, or forum jump. I might want to set it up as accessible or visible once someone joined a certain group.

twig/al

I know you can have categories that will only be visible to certain membergroups through the Admin Control Panel... Is that what your asking?

Joker™

While creating a board you will see the option that to which specific member group this board should be visible. Try hidding it for a group, make a new account for yourself with the group which don't have the permission to see the board and see the effect yourself ;).
Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

How to enable Post Moderation

"For the wise man looks into space and he knows there is no limited dimensions." - Laozi

All support seeking PM's get microwaved

wynnyelle

Thanks. Yes I know how to do boards/categories hidden to some groups and not others. What I need to know is how to construct orphan boards/categories--that can only be reached by manual linking and do not show up in forum jump even if they are visible to all.

wynnyelle

I am guessing that this is not known whether you can do this, or it is simply not possible? ^_^;;

Antechinus

Not default functionality, and I haven't heard of anyone writing a mod for it. Exactly why do you want this? It seems a bit odd.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: Groovystar on June 09, 2011, 03:19:03 AM
I want to possibly set up boards that do not show up on the navigation, trees, or forum jump. I might want to set it up as accessible or visible once someone joined a certain group.
With a straight membergroup based access setting it would be easy to do - as SMF always hides all boards you can't enter.

Without that, you could try doing it like this
Category -> Board hidden to everyone except admins -> Childboard visible to everyone.
The Childboard of a hidden board should not show on the index. ( I have not tried though. )
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: