News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Database error

Started by agent47, June 09, 2011, 04:35:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agent47

I use Simple Portal and I recently upgraded my forum from RC3 to RC5. Everything on my site works perfectly fine except when I try to add a shoutbox block, I get the following error:
Database Error
Illegal mix of collations (utf8_unicode_ci,IMPLICIT) and (utf8_general_ci,IMPLICIT) for operation 'ifnull'
File: /home/superher/public_html/Sources/Subs-Portal.php
Line: 1266

I posted this on the simple portal support site but apparently it's not an issue with their portal so here I am.
Here's what one of the support staff from SP said | http://simpleportal.net/index.php?topic=8959.msg47459#new

PortaMx is probably the best SMF portal!

Joker™

Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

How to enable Post Moderation

"For the wise man looks into space and he knows there is no limited dimensions." - Laozi

All support seeking PM's get microwaved

agent47

So I just logged into phpmyAdmin and checked that my other database collations are "utf8_unicode_ci" but smf_sa_ads was "latin1_general_ci"
Does this have anything to do with the error?

agent47

Okay, not just that table but 16 other tables but none of the Simple Portal tables.

Joker™

Quote from: agent47 on June 09, 2011, 04:58:29 PM
So I just logged into phpmyAdmin and checked that my other database collations are "utf8_unicode_ci" but smf_sa_ads was "latin1_general_ci"
Does this have anything to do with the error?

That is the exact problem, read Norv's reply once again carefully about what to do exactly.

Quote from: Norv on September 17, 2009, 12:03:33 PM
The tables in your database have different collations. Please login in phpMyAdmin, and make a full backup of the database. (you can use "export" with both structure and data).
Then, make sure you are looking at the database, the "Structure" tab. You will see in the Collations column, that your tables have different collations. You will need to convert those from Arcade, to the collation used by the rest of SMF tables.
For that, please select each of the tables with different collations, and in the Operations tab, you have the table options, where you can choose "Collation" from a dropdown box. Then press Go.

Note: such operations could damage your database. Please make sure you do have a full backup (or more, made with more than one method), before trying.
Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

"For the wise man looks into space and he knows there is no limited dimensions." - Laozi

agent47

I switched all 17 collation tables to what the rest of the tables use. Still getting the error? :(

Joker™

Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

agent47

Managed to figure it out. I went it to the smf_sp_shouts and apparently the collations inside those tables were different. So I had to manually change collations of record. Thanks Joker, you were of great help mate. Have a nice day bud :)

Joker™

Your welcome :). It's 3 AM at my side, so I'd like to say gud night instead ;D.
Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

agent47

Quote from: Joker™ on June 09, 2011, 05:44:35 PM
Your welcome :). It's 3 AM at my side, so I'd like to say gud night instead ;D.
Wait? You're kidding me right. It's 3 AM here too? Are you from India/Sri Lanka by any chance?

Joker™

Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

agent47

Advertisement: