Can't change themes

Started by GlitchPC, June 10, 2011, 12:51:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GlitchPC

Hello, all...

I just added a new theme:  Anecdota  for SMF 2.0 RC5.  My version of SMF is a full upgrade from 1.1.13.  I installed the theme via a zipped file I uploaded using SMF.  The install went without a hitch.  I just had to make a couple of cosmetic changes as they pertained to the main menu.

I am currently using the new theme as the default for the site.  I was able to change the theme, once, but, now...if I click (change) in my Look and Layout settings...it reverts to the core default but, when I click on a menu button...it goes back to "Anecdota"...the new theme.  It does not let me select a theme.

In Admin/Themes and Layout/Manage and Install:

• Allow members to select their own themes is checked
  • Themes that the user is able to select:  SMF Default Theme - Core and Anecdota are selected.
  • Overall forum default:  Anecdota
  • Reset everyone to: No change is selected

If I click the "choose..." link to the right of the latter two options, I get redirected to my portal homepage, adding a dialog box at the top center which reads, "Request Error    The requested item is not available or can not proceed."  I have the option to click a "Back" button which returns me back to the "Themes and Layout Settings".

I have the following mods installed:

• PortaMx v1.0 RC4
  • SMF Staff Page
  • Referrals System
  • Add Stars To Profile
  • Contact Page
  • Welcome Topic Mod
  • AjaxChat Integration
  • Stop Spammer
  • httpBL
  • Extended Help

I appreciate any help anyone has to offer in order to correct this.  Otherwise, I guess I'll just have to change the setting to not allow users to select a theme.  Would rather have it fixed, though...

kat

This is only a workaround, because I have the same problem on my forum and I've never been able to cure it, I'm afraid. :(

If you go to your site and add "?theme=2" after "index.php", it's change the theme to whatever theme is theme number two, on your forum.

For example, if it was here, you'd type:

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?theme=2

GlitchPC

K@...

Thanks fr the reply.  Well.  That's not much of a work around.  While it does change the theme, it doesn't let a member change his/her theme.

Is this a bug in the software?

kat

Not that I know of.

As far as I can tell some mods affect it.

Trouble is, I've never figured-out which.

Annoying, innit?

As a workaround, you could make a post, with the links in, so your members can click the links.

Not very pretty, but it works.

Hopefully, someone else can help both of us.

I actually posted about this ages ago and nobody bothered, much, sadly.

If I manage to figure something out, I'll let you know.

Thinking about it, what mods do you have, at your place?

Maybe we can work this out, between us. ;)

Spoogs

By chance are you using the theme changer block with your portal, if so what happens when you change the theme using the theme changer?... also you can try disabling the theme changer block then trying to change the theme via look and layout and see what happens.

kat

I have Simple portal, myself.

Not using that to change the theme, though.

twig/al

I don't know if this will help or not... I run 2.0RC5, no mods... I can and have loaded a few custom themes to my forum and let the members take a look at them... It worked for me... I have now deleted all the custom themes, because all of my members liked the stock Curve theme the best... Maybe this will at least help you narrow it down. Also no portal...

Spoogs

Quote from: K@ on June 10, 2011, 03:36:50 PM
I have Simple portal, myself.

Not using that to change the theme, though.
Not sure about SP, but I've encountered this behaviour with PMX before where any theme chosen in the theme changer overrides anything you choose via look and layout.

GlitchPC

Update...

I have it working, again.

I use PortaMX as my portal mod.  Prior to all of this happening...I had enabled SEF urls within the SEF Settings of that mod.  It disabled SMF's SEF urls and would not allow you to change it.  That same mod also instructed one to add the following to their .htaccess file:

RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule (.*) index.php

After disabling the portal's SEF Engine Settings and removing that code from my .htaccess file...everything is back to normal.  It, also, fixed the issue I was having with not being able to enable SMF's SEF settings.

kat

Actually, I have to 'fess-up, here.

Seems I've been doing it all wrong, after all that.

When I select a theme, I click the pic.

That changes the theme, for sure. But, not permanently. Navigate to another page and it reverts.

Actually clicking "Use this theme" seems to work...

***Head/Wall***

Spoogs

Sweet - glad it worked out for both of ya  8)

@GlitchPC - that was going to be my next question (I realized you had the PMX's SEF enabled after my first post but figured I'd see if it got solved before getting into too much)

GlitchPC

Something's still amiss, though.  Hmmm....

I've unchecked the Classic YaBB and Babylon themes but, I'm still able to select the both of them.  I've also noticed that Forum Default and SMF Core are listed there, as well.

Why would one want to select the Forum default...if the forum default is the SMF Core?  Seems like a lot of redundancy and some cooding issues somewhere...right?

Spoogs

QuoteI've unchecked the Classic YaBB and Babylon themes but, I'm still able to select the both of them.
As admin you can but you're best removing those themes anyway as they are from 1.1x and will not work on 2.0

QuoteWhy would one want to select the Forum default...if the forum default is the SMF Core?  Seems like a lot of redundancy and some cooding issues somewhere...right?
The 2.0 default is Curve but during upgrade for some reason the name of the theme is not changed from Core, but you can change that yourself in the theme's settings.

GlitchPC

Thanks for all the help, guys!  I really appreciate it...

Spoogs

Advertisement: