News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

2.0 Final has been released

Started by Norv, June 11, 2011, 07:43:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norv

Quote from: Daniel15 on June 13, 2011, 08:39:50 AM
Wow, awesome! I didn't actually think the final version of SMF 2.0 would ever come out. And BSD licensed, too? Awesome! :D

* Norv snickers.

Good to see to have surprised ya. ;)
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

KVL

Very good and welcome news! :) Many thanks to the SMF team! :)

scythe944

Thanks! Upgrade went extremely well!

Pentaxian

easyrider77

Hey.. Great News !  Congrats to all team !!
SMF  1.1.11 / Joomla 1.5.20  /default theme

lorenzov

Quote from: KVL on June 13, 2011, 09:26:34 AM
Very good and welcome news! :) Many thanks to the SMF team! :)

Absolutely Awesome!
Good good new

xpistos

Congrats, but how do I upgrade my 1.1.14 to 2.0 stable?

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

SJR

Great news on the new license for the final version!  You have been years ahead of phpBB in terms of features and usability for quite some time but were hindered from becoming the dominant PHP bulletin board script because of the old proprietary license. Now we can all use SMF as it truly is an open source licensed project.  :)

Kindred

oh, pshaw.... the original license never hindered anything except for people who insist that the GPL is actually worth-while (it's not).
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

willerby

Congrats to all... really appreciate all the effort of those involved, past and present. I'll admit to being a little concerned at the situation after using 30 months of RC versions, and speculative comments on the future of SMF weren't filling me with warm feelings but you pulled it off.

Thanks all

W
What type of washing machine is September?

An autumnatic. :)

MrMike

Outstanding, glad to see it! :)

I'm pretty familiar with the 1.xx versions (maybe even very familiar) so I did a lot of custom tweaks to that version...and so now it looks like maybe I gotta start all over again figuring out how to change some of the internal bits. :) But, from what I've seen it includes a fair number of the custom hacks I normally did, so maybe I won't need to fiddle with it as much.

I've been waiting for this and kept telling people, "It's coming, it's coming..." lol. Some of my friends started referring to SMF 2.0 as the "Duke Nukem" release.

Lol, I *really* took a lot of ribbing when Duke Nukem was actually released a few days ago . :(
But here we are with 2.0 available, and from the reviews for each product I'd have to say that SMF 2.0 has been received much more warmly and enthusiastically than Duke Nukem was. :)

Anyway, congrats again to the whole team for all the work they did and for keeping SMF at the forefront of open source forum software. Truly an impressive project in many ways.

Cheers!

Kimojuno

Quote from: Norv on June 12, 2011, 06:06:39 PM
Well, it's not like it's earth shaking (asteroids time is past now), however we don't really name our official topics that way, it slipped in the heat this time, because hey, we need our fun too.  O:)
(j/k btw)
Either way, it wasn't entirely consistent with our other official announcements titles and releases, so when we started to breath again we thought that generally it may be better to stick to those. Or try to. :D
(I know, I'm not fun.)

I think this may explain it better:

Ah, I see. Thanks for the explanation. :)

The Silver Monkey

Glad to see that 2.0 has finally gone gold. :)

I've already upgraded to it, and the process went just about flawlessly. :)

SJR

Quote from: Kindred on June 13, 2011, 12:35:41 PM
oh, pshaw.... the original license never hindered anything except for people who insist that the GPL is actually worth-while (it's not).
The old license hindered quite a bit.  I get the impression you are equating GPL with all of open source when in fact it is merely one license of many available.  GPL bashing comments like the one above will not endear this software to the open source community.  Instead of bashing GPL (and by association open source) it should be the primary target for new marketing efforts.  Doors that were previously closed to the project are now open thanks to a licensing change and instead of walking through them you appear to be egging them.  :o  I hope to see the spirit of the new license adopted in the policies and behavior of the project as a whole for a wonderful new addition to the open source community.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Thats the thing, we all like Open Source - Some of us just don't think Open Source = GPL.
It doesn't mean GPL is not Open Source, it just means that we preferred BSD License over GPL, while still embracing the ideal that is Open Source :)
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

[Lucien]

Congrats!! I have been waiting for this day to come  ;D

I'm very exited, i thank everyone who made this possible!
I'm using SMF 2.0.2 and SimplePortal 2.3.4

Kindred

and SJR... my statement was that the ONLY people "hindered" by the original SMF license were those who wanted some integration with a GPL product which could not allow an exception to the silly clauses in the GPL that tried to make everything else GPL.

BSD is a better choice for an Open Source product since there are no silly restrictions (hence the reason we chose it)
Слaва
Украинi

Norv

Quote from: SJR on June 13, 2011, 02:29:39 PM
I hope to see the spirit of the new license adopted in the policies and behavior of the project as a whole for a wonderful new addition to the open source community.

That is exactly the intention on many levels. Though we may have different opinions on what that means. :)
Anyway, choosing BSD as license is simply and purely because we believe in people's right to choose what to do with their own code build on SMF, instead of restricting it - in any way. This is particularly important for SMF, since extensions to SMF 2.0 are, currently, mostly as packaged source code modifications. Licenses "in the copyleft camp", if I may say so, would have had impacted them. BSD lets people free to do whatever they choose with their code built on/based on SMF.

SMF is open source, today, open source as in free to use, modify, build on, distribute with or without modifications, without imposing a constraint on the license to the code added/created by people on SMF.
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

Tattoo Vampire

I think I'll wait a while and see how many "broken modification" reports come in.... I've got about 20 installed and I'm skeered...  ;)

Advertisement: