News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

2.0 Final has been released

Started by Norv, June 11, 2011, 07:43:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bloc

Quote from: MellowMarcello on July 01, 2011, 08:45:02 AM

When will they have the Babylon theme fully ready for the SMF 2.0 Final version? 

That was the previous default theme for SMF.  I really liked that, much better than the new Curve default theme which seems some SMF/phpbb hybrid in appearance due to the less sharp "watercolor" look.

It wasn't the previous default theme- that was the Core theme, which was rather sharp and boxy. Babylon was the one before that again and only default in SMF 1.0(Core was default in SMF 1.1).The name came from one of its contributors was called BabylonKing. (or something similar, been a few years ago)

Curve:

Core:

Babylon:

Babylon isn't included in SMF 2.0 as Illori mentions - but Core is. Curve wasn't added in 2.0 either until RC2.

Mr. Jinx

And another succesful 2.0 upgrade is completed.
Thanks for this release!

craftyminion

Very good. Upgrading from RC5 to Gold with the small upgrade package was a cinch. :)

Also pleased to see SMF has finally moved to an open source licence. Great stuff!

Cm

amko_sa

I am finish upgrade without any error. All my mods work. ;D 8)
Thanks to all SMF team for 2.0 gold release.

MellowMarcello

Quote from: Bloc on July 01, 2011, 09:04:10 AM

When will they have the Babylon theme fully ready for the SMF 2.0 Final version? 

That was the previous default theme for SMF.  I really liked that, much better than the new Curve default theme which seems some SMF/phpbb hybrid in appearance due to the less sharp "watercolor" look.

It wasn't the previous default theme- that was the Core theme, which was rather sharp and boxy. Babylon was the one before that again and only default in SMF 1.0(Core was default in SMF 1.1).The name came from one of its contributors was called BabylonKing. (or something similar, been a few years ago)

Curve:

Core:

Babylon:

Babylon isn't included in SMF 2.0 as Illori mentions - but Core is. Curve wasn't added in 2.0 either until RC2.

My board was first on xsorbit SMF 1.0.5 and the theme was Bablyon.  Then I moved the board and upgraded it to the 1.1.x series, but still kept Babylon as my theme.  I have screenshots of both Core and Babylon for my board but I'm reluctant to post them since my board is a private board.

I don't like the Curve theme at all with how blendy it is.  It's really too bad there's no Babylon theme for SMF 2.0.  The Core theme is better than Curve, but I still prefer Babylon.  Any theme that was good enough to be a default theme at one point should still be an option, and not phased out by some marketing department.

I regret I switched over to SMF 2.0 before SMF 2.0 got a Babylon theme.  I know the security is better, but the upgrade still feels like a downgrade due to the look.

Robert.

@MellowMarcello: There will be a Babylon and YSE theme compatible with SMF 2, provided by the team :)

Oldiesmann

There might be, assuming someone wants to upgrade it. It's not used much anymore, so I don't see much demand for it.

Mellow, have you looked at the theme site at all? Maybe you can find another theme there that you like.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

agridoc

MellowMarcello, until a better solution is found, you can try this.

Babylon and Classic were included up to 2.0 RC3. So, you can download a copy of 2.0 RC3 install files, install in another dir and database in your server and copy the babylon (and maybe classic) dir to your working forum.

Another trick if someone wants to upgrade from 1.1x and has a 1.1 theme that can't be found for 2.0. BEFORE upgrading to 2.0 final do an upgrade to 2.0 RC3. The theme files will be changed, not a perfect 2.0 conversion but something better to start with.

This converter as well as Babylon and Classic themes was abandoned in 2.0 RC4 and later.
  For Greek aeromodellers and our friends around the world  - Greek Button sets for SMF - Greeklish to Greek mod
Δeν αφιερώνω χρόνο για μηνύματα σε greeklish.

Illori

there have been several theme changes since RC3, so those themes may not work on 2.0.

Kindred

as a matter of course, Babylon will NOT work fully on 2.0 final. and the converter never worked very well, which is why it was abandoned.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

agridoc

It might work well enough for MellowMarcello. If no error messages are present and no safety issues exist he may choose to use it, as I stated, until a better solution is found.

For the converter I wrote "not a perfect 2.0 conversion but something better to start with". It will really gain time, even changing string variables is a headache without the converter.
  For Greek aeromodellers and our friends around the world  - Greek Button sets for SMF - Greeklish to Greek mod
Δeν αφιερώνω χρόνο για μηνύματα σε greeklish.

bloc

Quote from: MellowMarcello on July 03, 2011, 02:50:06 PM
Quote from: Bloc on July 01, 2011, 09:04:10 AM

Curve:

Core:

Babylon:

My board was first on xsorbit SMF 1.0.5 and the theme was Bablyon.  Then I moved the board and upgraded it to the 1.1.x series, but still kept Babylon as my theme.  I have screenshots of both Core and Babylon for my board but I'm reluctant to post them since my board is a private board.

I don't like the Curve theme at all with how blendy it is.  It's really too bad there's no Babylon theme for SMF 2.0.  The Core theme is better than Curve, but I still prefer Babylon.  Any theme that was good enough to be a default theme at one point should still be an option, and not phased out by some marketing department.

I regret I switched over to SMF 2.0 before SMF 2.0 got a Babylon theme.  I know the security is better, but the upgrade still feels like a downgrade due to the look.

Err, actually, I never proposed either to leave out the babylon/classic themes. And they were there when I worked on Core, but not when I made Curve. The team decided it took too much space, so the "marketing dept" had really nothing to say about that... ;D

Its sad no-one too he time to update it though, its a real gem.

Eleglin

Babylon was a nice theme, but Curve is really great.
Just done the update for 2.0, and I see you have done a really good job with div and css. :-)

No support by PM or Mail.

goldenboy48

Antechinus

Quote from: Bloc on July 03, 2011, 06:49:39 PMErr, actually, I never proposed either to leave out the babylon/classic themes. And they were there when I worked on Core, but not when I made Curve. The team decided it took too much space, so the "marketing dept" had really nothing to say about that... ;D

Its sad no-one too he time to update it though, its a real gem.

It wasn't so much an issue of space as of time and resources. Frankly, we were so busy just dealing with getting Curve and Core sorted that nobody had time for the other two, and given how few people are even interested in them it just didn't make sense to waste time on them.

bloc

A bit sad, because Babylon was indeed a innovative theme, and still is in some ways. Classic is just that..classic. I will have a look at the RC3 version, though no promises.(and if it ain't up to speed with the 1.1 version I will def. use the 1.1 as a start instead)

Antechinus

TBH I don't like any of the old themes enough to use them or spend time on them. I find them dull and ugly.

ModelBoatMayhem

The Babylon theme has been around a Long time now and many users find it friendly and reassuring. To not only change the fundamentals of the whole forum plus it's looks can be a bit of a 'ground shift'  for many of the 'old boys' that use my Forum. I'm sure many forum users around the world find it easier to cope with it it "looked the same" but had different functionality, rather than 'Looks AND Feels different'  all in one go.  Remember, Babylon was the default or preferred theme for years and for millions of SMF
user around the world.

I for one, am happy to contribute to a fully functional Babylon theme for 2.0 Gold.

Quote from: Bloc on July 06, 2011, 09:04:27 AM
A bit sad, because Babylon was indeed a innovative theme, and still is in some ways. Classic is just that..classic. I will have a look at the RC3 version, though no promises.(and if it ain't up to speed with the 1.1 version I will def. use the 1.1 as a start instead)
That's my firm opinion.... but what do I know?!

bloc

Quote from: Antechinus on July 06, 2011, 10:47:49 AM
TBH I don't like any of the old themes enough to use them or spend time on them. I find them dull and ugly.
Everything has its charm and its time. Always hunting for the latest and greatest is one of biggest flaws in our soceity, IMHO. Those themes are good designs, they just aren't "the latest". I would recommend them before several of the "new" Curve alternatives any day.

There, I got to say something important today too lmao ;D

Antechinus

[old fart]

When I were a lad things were different. You whippersnappers and yer goldurned new fangled themes! There should be a law against it! I fought and died in two world wars to keep themes like that off the internet. :P

[/old fart]

;D

Advertisement: