News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Benefits of upgrade

Started by ChrisJakarta, June 12, 2011, 07:08:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisJakarta

I'm sure it must be here somewhere, but I can't seem to find any information about the benefits of upgrading to version 2.0. What are the differences? Will members notice any significant difference that we should warn them about?

Forgive me if I've missed this somewhere...

Chris

Illori

there are no really major changes between versions, but there are a few security issues that have been patched which could affect your users over time. also by upgrading you will be able to use the package manager for any future updates for the 2.0 branch.

Antechinus

Chirs: are you currently on 1.1.x? If so, there are quite a few noticeable changes. IMHO the best one for the average user is "Pm's as a conversation". That totally rocks.

If you are already on 2.0 RC5 then not so much (fairly minor bug fixes) but it would still be a good idea to upgrade anyway.

ChrisJakarta

Quote from: Antechinus on June 12, 2011, 10:36:50 PM
Chirs: are you currently on 1.1.x? If so, there are quite a few noticeable changes. IMHO the best one for the average user is "Pm's as a conversation". That totally rocks.
Antechinus,

Thanks for that.

Yes, currently on 1.1.14.  Is there anything new in v2.0 which will confuse current members?

If I am not mistaken, v2 provides the option of implementing Captcha verification before posting (as in this forum). Does this require any specific specs on the server? (My host has not upgraded the PHP for many, many years!)

Would it make sense to wait just a little longer before upgrading, to let the pioneers get the arrows in their backs?

Again, thanks for the input

Chris

Antechinus

If you aren't confused by posting with 2.0 on this site, then your members probably wont be confused by posting with 2.0 on your site.

Captcha shouldn't require anything fancy from the server. PHP version may be a problem, depending on how old it is. Exactly which version are you running?

ChrisJakarta

Quote from: Antechinus on June 12, 2011, 10:55:39 PM
If you aren't confused by posting with 2.0 on this site, then your members probably wont be confused by posting with 2.0 on your site.

Captcha shouldn't require anything fancy from the server. PHP version may be a problem, depending on how old it is. Exactly which version are you running?

Thanks again. My host is running PHP Version 4.3.2. GD Version  is noted as 2.0.12 compatible.

Chris

Antechinus

Advertisement: