News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

My site's F'd and I don't know what to do

Started by hcfwesker, June 12, 2011, 11:58:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hcfwesker

smf 2.0 rc4

http://www.brawldomain.com

Well, I was editing a file under the Ajax Chat folders, in file Manager Legacy ... and this new pop-up comes up when i goto save.  Well, it was new to me, and i thought it was just some "are you sure" thing.  Well, i clicked Proceeed, and it saves.  but then i realize the chat goes down, which the file i was editing "config.php" now had 0 KB , and i've tried reuploading a fresh file from the mod package, and it always uploads at 0 KB

So ... my next option was to just upgrade the site to smf 2.0 final, and reset everything. 

Well, in the Package Manager, when i goto "Uninstall" a package, i get this error

QuoteAn Error Has Occurred!

You cannot download or install new packages because the Packages directory or one of the files in it are not writable!

Or, if i try to upload a new package, I get this error

QuoteAn Error Has Occurred!

Package upload failed due to the following error:
"Although the package was downloaded to the server it appears to be empty. Please check the Packages directory, and the "temp" sub-directory are both writable. If you continue to experience this problem you should try extracting the package on your PC and uploading the extracted files into a subdirectory in your Packages directory and try again. For example, if the package was called shout.tar.gz you should:
1) Download the package to your local PC and extract it into files.
2) Using an FTP client create a new directory in your "Packages" folder, in this example you may call it "shout".
3) Upload all the files from the extracted package to this directory.
4) Go back to the package manager browse page and the package will be automatically found by SMF."

I'm at a complete lost right now on exactly what do to

Dzonny

Hello there.

Is your Packages directory writable? Please change its chmod to 755 or 777 and see if it helps.
Also make sure that in Packages folder, you have "temp" and "backups" folders as well, and with 775 or 777 chmod also.
How do I chmod? / what is chmod?

When you got it, just upload original file that you edited, just like youre trying.

Regards.

kat

Before you do anything, you might want to upgrade to SMF v2 Final... ;)

hcfwesker

thats the thing i noticed, the "temp" folder in Packages is gone.  but "backups" is still in there.  So i'm assuming upgrading to smf 2.0 final will be the solution for that, or would i just make a new folder labeled temp, and change its permissions to writable?

Illori

Advertisement: