News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Favicon.

Started by eric1234, June 13, 2011, 02:35:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eric1234

I heard that , RC4 and newer comes with its OWN favicon.ico file and support.

But, can someone point me to the documentation or details on how RC4 and newer implements favicon support? As  I don't see any evidence of favicon support.

Thank you >.<

IDunc

I am also interested on how to get a Favicon on my website.

MC73

http://www.favicon.cc/

There is a site to help you make a Favicon ... Then you can upload it to your site
Over 1100 Online Flash Games 

IDunc

How do I apply it to my website?

MC73

After you create it ... then just upload it to your smf root directory ( via ftp-ing it to your site ) .... then close your browser and go back to your site and it will show up

IDunc

What is my root directory? I don't use FTP, I use cPanel. Is it public_html?

MC73

yes ... I use filezilla client ( FREE) to get into the server. but that will do also.

IDunc

Got it. Thanks a lot! But the favicon hasn't showed up yet, I'm assuming I have to wait a little bit?

Xarcell

Unless I'm mistaken, you have to add the favicon code to your index.template.php file for each theme. Or install the Global Headers & Footers mod and just add it once there.

mashby

No mod necessary. After you upload your favicon.ico file, simply view it in your browser:
Quotemysite.com/favicon.ico
The next page you visit should display the little guy in your browser.
Always be a little kinder than necessary.
- James M. Barrie

Xarcell

I don't think that works for other file formats though. You'll have to use .ico for that method.

mashby

Right, that's the proper format for a favicon. Sure, you can create JPGs and GIFs (if you like animations and all), but favicon.ico if in that format requires no code edits at all.
- James M. Barrie

IDunc

Hm. I uploaded my Favicon to my root directory, it even asked me if I wanted to overwrite the original one. I took a look at it in the directory to make sure it's mine and it is. But when I go to mysite.com/favicon.ico it still shows the original SMF favicon.

Xarcell

Quote from: IDunc on June 13, 2011, 09:03:04 PM
Hm. I uploaded my Favicon to my root directory, it even asked me if I wanted to overwrite the original one. I took a look at it in the directory to make sure it's mine and it is. But when I go to mysite.com/favicon.ico it still shows the original SMF favicon.

what is the address?

IDunc

mashby

- James M. Barrie

IDunc

IDunc

I got it. All I had to do was clear my cache  ;D

Xarcell

Quote from: IDunc on June 13, 2011, 09:09:45 PM
I got it. All I had to do was clear my cache  ;D
Good to hear.

IDunc

Thanks for all the help guys!

Advertisement: