News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Star Trek Enterprise Theme

Started by Chris K, June 13, 2011, 06:22:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris K

Was there ever a Star Trek or is there a Star Trek Enterprise theme for SMF 2.x
I had the one for 1.1x, loved it, never sure if one was released or made, or can someone do one?

I run a couple of Star Trek themed forums and with moving to SMF 2.0 I cant find a Trek theme  :'(

I found a chain of messages here regarding a possible theme for SMF 2.x but doesnt seem to be a link or resolution to it.

Antechinus

Dunno. However, Bloc always did used to say that his graphics were free for use on any SMF site so he probably wouldn't mind if you used them to make a 2.0 version of the theme. He's given up theming himself.

Chris K

Im not a theme developer :( not graphically anyway ...

Sir Osis of Liver

There's an LCARS theme, but I think it's .1x, and it didn't work right for me.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Chris K

yeah I saw that. I am told only RC4 and above is going to work with SMF 2.0 - although preferred / recommended in RC5 themes.
How easy is it to change/mod an existing theme?

Sir Osis of Liver

.1x and 2.0 are quite different, and LCARS is a complicated theme.  Would be a lot of work.

- R. Waters

Chris K

Is there any way Bloc is still about in any form? or has he 'hung up his theme hat' for good?

Looking

Create your own with your specs as there are many variants to Star Trek themes.

Antechinus

Quote from: Chris K on June 14, 2011, 07:03:37 PM
Is there any way Bloc is still about in any form? or has he 'hung up his theme hat' for good?

Seems to be semi-permanently out of the game. May get back into it at some point, but don't hold your breath.

bloc

I have not stopped making graphics/themes - but stopped being offering them up publicly for now.

The Enterprise theme I can send off if you like, but its only for SMF 1.1.

Chris K

Ive got the enterprise theme in 1.14 :) its just I love the theme a lot - I wish there were more trek or sci fi themes :)  and since I have two forums using it, but want to upgrade to 2.0 I cant :( especially since one is Star Trek based. :)

Nice to see you are still round :D

Martine M

Glad to hear that bloc, but I hope we can in time enjoy your beautiful work again.
You make the greatest themes of all.

Edit; I saw just now your bloc is back open, I am very glad for that, you are doing a great job it is much appreciated.
Running SMF 2.09 - Diego Andrés Theme Elegant Mind - TP 1.0 - Main Forum language English - Browser Firefox 33

bloc

Well, I am actually working on Enterprise now, so it will be out soon. :)

Martine M

well I for one am very curious to see it when it is finished. :)
Running SMF 2.09 - Diego Andrés Theme Elegant Mind - TP 1.0 - Main Forum language English - Browser Firefox 33

Ozzie

As this theme is now released for smf2.0 gold  i thought i would add this, For all wanting to use the smfpacks shoutbox with the enterprise theme....

add the following to index.template.php

//SMFPacks Shoutbox -->
   if (function_exists('template_shoutbox')) template_shoutbox('main');
   // <-- SMFPacks Shoutbox

around about line 208

its a great theme btw

2000+ games available to download

Dayna Bedrosian

I'm a bit lost.  I have to upgrade to 2.0 for my Star Trek group's forum.  Where would I find this theme at?

lurkalot

You can download it from the TinyPortal site, https://www.tinyportal.net/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=item89  Hopefully it'll still work.

Dayna Bedrosian

Sir Osis of Liver

IIRC, the current 2.0 download was ported from 1.1 version a bit sloppily and requires some cleaning up.  I've done a couple of customizations with it, if you need assistance drop me a PM.

- R. Waters

Bloc

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on September 13, 2019, 01:23:18 PM
IIRC, the current 2.0 download was ported from 1.1 version a bit sloppily and requires some cleaning up.  I've done a couple of customizations with it, if you need assistance drop me a PM.

Define "sloppily".

Of course it doesn't have the latest upgrades, after all its well over 10 years since I worked and released it - but the code is valid SMF 2.0 theme code.

Sir Osis of Liver

No offense intended, some of the formatting looked a bit off to me so I changed it.  Nice theme, though, excellent graphics.  Used it for a while on one of my 1.1 production forums, then upped to 2.0.  Also customized it for a client, don't know if it's still running.

Here.

- R. Waters

Bloc

Ok, sorry, a bit defensive there I guess. Thrilled actually, that people still use these. And perhaps particulary the more "artistic" ones like Enterprise. :D

It could probably do with using only CSS to style things now..but it was made pre-2009 so it was all tables then. See some gaps in the graphics that wasnt there before, probably due to changed styling in default theme for SMF 2 on which it relied(which have changed since) or default styling in browsers - or both of these things.

Had an idea this year to reshape some of my earlier themes into proper responsive 2.0 themes..but for that I need a better base than default theme - and I haven't arrived there yet. :)

Antechinus

I don't think you could do Enterprise justice with only CSS. You could maybe do something sort of like it, but to get the full effect of the original is probably going to require some images. You could certainly save some though, with sprites and whatever else (CSS3, pseudos, etc).

Sir Osis of Liver

One of the customizations I did was removing the dropmenu that selects the upper right header image, and doing a random select that rotated images with every page load.  There was an additional starship pic (Voyager?) in the theme that wasn't an option, cleaned it up a bit and added it to the rotation.  Wonder if I still have that theme somewhere.

Found it, attached.

- R. Waters

Sir Osis of Liver

Can a moderator remove attachment from my previous post?  Has some code in it shouldn't be public.

- R. Waters

shawnb61

Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Sir Osis of Liver

Thanks, had code in it for my PayPal button, don't know if it can be misused.  Will remove it and repost.

- R. Waters

Antechinus

Aha! I was thinking of Helios. I remember Enterprise now. Having actually looked in the zip and all. :D

Brings back memories of my newbie days, when I'd look at Bloc's templates and think "WTF does all that stuff do?".

Bloc

Even Helios can be re-made using CSS(and changed HTML of course) since it was similar to Enterprise as in using-graphics-repeating-in-a-table-surrounding-the-content sort of way. It just takes some planning and of course the original backgrounds/sourrounding graphics.

Fun as it ws creating those and many others way back, I think the thrill for them is long gone. But Enterprise might still be a thing to do. :)

Kindred

We used a slightly modified version of this on fx-sabers for a while... but then changed to Studio003 (also by Bloc) since it was easier to make it fully responsive.
I did crib the code which allows choosing headers though (and applied it to the CSS entirely)

IIRC, this one requires a fair amount of work to make it responsive.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

I was always amused that there was a Babylon 5 option in a theme called Enterprise ;)

Antechinus

Bloc

Should have been a Firefly option there too..but at the time I wasn't aware of it. :D

Antechinus

Quote from: Kindred on September 15, 2019, 09:47:12 AM
We used a slightly modified version of this on fx-sabers for a while... but then changed to Studio003 (also by Bloc) since it was easier to make it fully responsive.
I did crib the code which allows choosing headers though (and applied it to the CSS entirely)

IIRC, this one requires a fair amount of work to make it responsive.

The original was 1.1.x and yes, 1.1.x is a bit of a nightmare to make responsive. Been there, done that. 2.0.x is much easier.

Sir Osis of Liver

Is there a 2.0 version of Helios?  Found a 1.1 screenshot in an old topic, but can't find the theme.

- R. Waters

lurkalot

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on September 15, 2019, 06:20:42 PM
Is there a 2.0 version of Helios?  Found a 1.1 screenshot in an old topic, but can't find the theme.

There's Helios-multi for SMF 2.0 https://www.tinyportal.net/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=item90

Antechinus

Quote from: Bloc on September 15, 2019, 08:36:41 AM
Even Helios can be re-made using CSS(and changed HTML of course) since it was similar to Enterprise as in using-graphics-repeating-in-a-table-surrounding-the-content sort of way. It just takes some planning and of course the original backgrounds/sourrounding graphics.

Fun as it was creating those and many others way back, I think the thrill for them is long gone. But Enterprise might still be a thing to do. :)

It could be an interesting challenge optimising Helios for modern coding standards, meaning duplicating the exact look without skimping anywhere. The complexity of it might stimulate some ideas. I have thought about that from time to time, just on the basis that it may be a good puzzle to solve when there's nothing good on tv. But then, there are plenty of other interesting challenges too.

This is funny for me because it brings back memories of when I first start using SMF but didn't know any coding. I did love your themes, but they were a real bastard for newbies to administrate and modify. Almost nothing was standard SMF. Mostly simple enough once you know some coding, but not if you don't know any.

Of course you could say newbies should have enough sense to not try and modify things they don't understand, but where's the fun in that?

Sir Osis of Liver

That's odd, already had the file but don't remember the theme at all.  Very nice, could do some neat customizations with that.  Would be a shame if none of these themes are ported to 2.1.

- R. Waters

Advertisement: