smileys are gone?

Started by Ebel.Munkey007, June 13, 2011, 06:57:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ebel.Munkey007

Hi, I am not sure what happened but my smileys are gone. The actual .igf files still are on the server in the right directory etc, but my board no longer has any smileys. I am not sure what happened. I had upgraded to RC5, and thoughtn that might have caused some issues with a theme I was using. Today I upgraded to the final version of 2 and still do not have any smileys (either custom or the default ones).

I have tried to install a new smiley package, and get an error message saying "Unable to import smiley set. Either the directory is invalid or cannot be accessed." The directory name is correct and does exist.
When I click back and then try again it tells me "A smiley set with that URL already exists".
When I then try to edit the smilies it tells me "There are currently no smileys configured."

I am confused and not sure what I did wrong. Like I said, I originally thought this was an issue with the theme I was using. I am now using the default theme though and still have this same issue.

Here is a list of my set up. SMF 2.0
Mods in use
Foxy! for AEVA Media  V1.26
SMF Multi Quote V1.1.2
Users Online Today V1.6.0
AEVA Media V1.4W
PM to New Members V1.2

Not sure what additional info would be helpful, but if anything else would help identify what the issue is just let me know. I have checked the permissions for the smiley directories and they seem ok (755). This has bugged me for awhile, I appreciate any guidance on how to fix this.

Thanks!!

Xarcell

be sure to check your smiley path in your settings and make sure it is correct. Admin > Forum > Smilies & Message Icons > settings.

Ebel.Munkey007

I checked my smiley path and it seemed correct. I also ran the repair_settings.php tool and went with its suggestion of the following for my path.

/home/halleaux/public_html/tgorforum/Smileys

I have tried different variations of this, but that caused the "Absolute path to all smiley sets" to turn red which I assume means that it doesn't work, so I have left it as posted above. One thing I did notice is that I can not even browse the .gif files in my smiley directory. I'm wondering if this is a permissions issue? For instance, I can see the smiley on this forum linked below, by simply entering that in my browser.

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/Smileys/default/smiley.gif

When I try to do the same on my forum, I get a 403 Forbidden error. 

http://www.thoseguysoffroad.com/tgorforum/Smileys/default/smiley.gif [nofollow]

Any ideas what the proper permission should be for these? Thanks for the help! it did get me a step closer I think...

Xarcell

try chmodding your Smilies directory to 755.

Ebel.Munkey007

It actually was, but that still didnt fix it, so I contacted my host provider and they said I had a bad htaccess file, which they fuixed and now everything seems to be working again. Thanks again for the help! I love this stuff!!

mashby

Very good to hear. There's a Mark Topic Solved link at the bottom left of this topic. If you think this is solved (which it sounds like it is), feel free to click that! :)
Always be a little kinder than necessary.
- James M. Barrie

Advertisement: