News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Special Characters and Symbols Insertion

Started by Chas Large, June 13, 2011, 10:15:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chas Large

Link to Mod

Alternative Characters/Symbols Buttons for SMF2.0

This mod adds buttons to the Post area to allow one click insertion of special alternative characters or symbols.

Version History:

1.8 Added licence to allow for mod to be forked.
1.7 Added support for UTF-8 Characters - Many thanks to the customization team for assistance with this mod
1.6 Changed install code for the images so they go into all available themes - Many thanks Customization Team for the tip.
1.5 Corrected install operation code
1.4 Corrected character insertion from actual symbols to php codes. Added skip for non english_british language installation
1.3 Changed the position of the buttons as it impacted on the Font, Size and Color Drop Downs when browser not maximised.
1.2 Added 4 character/symbols Copyright, small O with circumflex, small e and i with Diaeresis, Micro and Plus/Minus symbols.
1.1 Added 3 symbols, Quarter, Half, Three Quarters.
1.0 Mod built and tested on two forums.

Please use the support link if required.

Regards

Chas Large
May 2018

Copyright (c) 2011/14, Charles Large
All rights reserved.

Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:

1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.

2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT HOLDER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
My Modifications :)  My Forum

Please DO NOT PM me with support requests. Post the problem in the appropriate Support Board so everyone can benefit from the advice given.

Bugo

Jessica.

installed this without problems, inserted fine, but when I submit a test post with any of those symbols, NONE of them show up
Testing Zone - SMF 2.0.7, default Curve
School & Chat - phpBB3, over 170 mods installed, official live forum

I use the latest version of Chrome

phpBB: Forum = a section; Board = whole site
SMF: Forum = whole site; Board = a section

Chas Large

Quote from: Bugo on June 20, 2011, 02:03:43 AM
SMF 2.0, UTF-8 => see screenshot.
Sorry, never tested this with a UTF-8 forum so I can't say why this is occurring. The characters are inserted using PHP character insert from standard unicode character numbers, like you get in Windows Character Map so they should appear correctly. I'll see if I can set up a test forum based on UTF-8 and try the mod there. I'll get back to you.

Please DO NOT PM me with support requests. Post the problem in the appropriate Support Board so everyone can benefit from the advice given.

Chas Large

Quote from: Jessica. on June 20, 2011, 11:42:47 AM
installed this without problems, inserted fine, but when I submit a test post with any of those symbols, NONE of them show up
Are you using UTF-8 character set too? It might be a similar problem to Bugo's issue above.

Can you insert characters via Windows Character map or similar?

Chas Large

Quote from: Chas Large on July 06, 2011, 04:00:16 PM
Quote from: Bugo on June 20, 2011, 02:03:43 AM
SMF 2.0, UTF-8 => see screenshot.
Sorry, never tested this with a UTF-8 forum so I can't say why this is occurring. The characters are inserted using PHP character insert from standard unicode character numbers, like you get in Windows Character Map so they should appear correctly. I'll see if I can set up a test forum based on UTF-8 and try the mod there. I'll get back to you.
I can confirm this is a bug with the mod for forums using UTF-8 character set. I'll work on a fix.

Chas Large

Updated the mod to v1.7, this now supports both ASCII and UTF-8 Character sets.

Installed and tested on both types of forum and it works fine on both.

mattio41

I am sorry, I am new to this board, and had sent you a PM by accident, before seeing this section. My apologies.

I want to know, if the special characters can be replaces with icons or images instead? and if so, how might one do that?

thank you in advance.

Chas Large

Quote from: mattio41 on August 29, 2011, 02:49:59 PM
I am sorry, I am new to this board, and had sent you a PM by accident, before seeing this section. My apologies.

I want to know, if the special characters can be replaces with icons or images instead? and if so, how might one do that?

thank you in advance.
If you download the zip file and unzip it to a folder, you'll see the images which are used as the buttons. You can use other images so long as either they have the same name or you recode the mod to use your images. I created the images to be the same size as other BBCode buttons.

Once you've created alternate images and renamed them or recoded the mod, repackage it and test it. The whole mod is easy to do.

Were you after some specific other characters or have some icons to use? I'd be happy to make a modified version if you provide the images.

mattio41

Chas Large

Quote from: mattio41 on September 03, 2011, 02:12:00 PM
May I send my request to you in an email?
Please PM me with your e-mail address.

elizadani01

Special characters and symbols are useful to create attraction,always like to use that.

GigaWatt

Is there any standard which font and size is used to generate the symbols in the images, so that it looks nice in the WYSIWYG editor ;)? Is this documented somewhere? Is a standard font and size used in all of the images (that represent letters, like the Bold, Italic and Underline buttons) in the WYSIWYG post editor?
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

GigaWatt

"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

GigaWatt

I'm still looking for this info. Here are the images.

I just need the font and size info, that's all, so I could customize the mod to my forum's needs (generate the images that I need).

Since there is no copyright info for this mod, I will make my customization publicly available.

Illori

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

GigaWatt

Quote from: Illori on May 02, 2018, 08:19:04 AM
the license or lack there of matters more then the copyright.
https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=461016.0

Quote from: IchBin™ on November 30, 2011, 03:06:21 PM
Starting January 1st we are requiring authors to do the following:

This mod is not covered by this new customization requirement. The initial release of the mod was on 14.06.2011 (the day this thread was opened). The copyright requirement came into effect 01.01.2012. Therefore, this mod is not affected by that decision... unless the requirement is applied retroactively, but I didn't get that from what was posted in the thread about the new copyright requirement.

Quote from: Kindred on May 02, 2018, 09:42:05 AM
BTW: https://dev.w3.org/html5/html-author/charref

Thank you ;). I'll keep it my bookmarks, It'll come in handy when editing the mod ;).

But, what I really needed was the font and size of the letters with which those images are generated.

Illori

this mod is still covered by

Quote from: IchBin™ on November 30, 2011, 03:06:21 PM
Hello all,

Did you know that, whenever you create a new mod or theme, you have an exclusive copyright to your own work? International copyright law says that, when you create original work, nobody else has the right to redistribute your work or create a new version of it -- unless you say so.

GigaWatt

So... I have to wait for the author to pass, and another 50 years to make the mod of the mod publicly available for an outdated version of a forum from an organization (SMF) that might not even exist anymore ::)... if I actually live that long. Yeah... right ::).

I'll find another way... I always do.

Advertisement: