news portal

Started by tabletsdroid, June 14, 2011, 03:26:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tabletsdroid

I need to post news from a specific sub forum on the front page of my site. Can I do this without having to use a portal like simple portal? which now appears to be dysfunctional after the the 2.0 gold upgrade.

Simple portal now displays nothing on the front page root of my domain e.g http://mydomain.com - why is now, not redirecting to the portal...
typing out http://mydomain.com/index.php manually I can see the portal as its supposed to be displayed.

any help greatly apreciated, thank you!
Are you Looking Forward To it?

Kindred

if posting to a page outside of SMF, you can use SSI.

ssi_boardnews should handle what you want it to do.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

tabletsdroid

Thank you. One problem though, SSI is not compatible with 2.0 Gold. Shall I emulate to RC3?

Kindred

what?

SSI.php is *PART* of SMF...     go to your site
go to the page ssi_examples.php and look at the functions that you can use.
Look in SSI.php or the wiki here for the specific arguments that you can use with each SSI function.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

tabletsdroid

Thank you. I think this might be the longer way around for me, does this require me to have programming knowledge? is there a mod available that would do this for me?

Kindred

no...   the point is that SSI.php allows you to use SMF data outside of SMF.

In your page which is outside of SMF, do a
<?php require_once('path/to/SSI.php'); ?>

and then, where you want to display the content
<?php ssi_boardnews() ?>

there are some arguments that you can use for boardnews, which will tell it which board to pull news from and how many to pull, but I don't recall them off the top of my head.
Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: