Upgraded to 2.0, need some help please.

Started by mredd, June 15, 2011, 12:14:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mredd

Hi Folks.

I have upgraded to 2.0 default theme and I need a little help please.

I would like to make all the main menu buttons visible to only logged in members.  I tried (  if ($context['user']['is_logged'])   ) in the subs.php and that don't work.

I would like to have put my own header image and have it centred at all times.

One other thing can I use the same daterbase from my old forum, I would like to transfer all members and there posts and all topic categories.

Old forum - SMF 1.1.14 .

Many thanks for any help offerd.

Regards.
edd.

Kindred

if you UPGRADED, then you should have used your old database already.

Look at the global header/footer mod.

You want to make WHICH buttons visible to only logged in members? By default, most of the SMF menu options are  limited to logged in only...

Home
    Help
    Search
    Login
    Register

those are the only buttons that should show to guests.
memberlist and calendar can be set to display (or not) in the guests permissions

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

mredd

Thanks Kindred.

I will have a Look at the global header/footer mod.

Yes I want to hide,

Home
    Help
    Search
    Login
    Register

RE: database, I installed 2.0 in a new folder on my server so I could do all the mods I want to do first, I have just used the repair settins.php to change the database over and it crashed my new forum  :laugh:

Thanks for your help.

Regards.
edd.

Kindred

did you use the 2.0 version of repair_settings?

and why the heck would you want to remove those buttons?   How is a user supposed to log in if those buttons are not there? How can a guest move around the forum if they are not there?
No offense, but that is definitely one of the silliest requests I have ever seen...   

anyway... for each menu item in subs.php
change the show line to be
'show' => (!$user_info['is_guest']),

but then, that of course will show the login and register button to your already logged in users...

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

mredd

Hi Kindred.

No offense taken  ;D I should of said it's a private members forum.

I didn't know there was a 2.0 version of repair_settings, where would I find that then ?.

Thanks for the code to go in the subs.php file. Could I just delete the login and register buttons, or would the cause some problems.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards.
edd.

Kindred

you should never delete standard code from any of the forum default files.

if you REALLY want to remove them, then use /* ... */ around the code...
(but how are the users going to log in, if there is no login button?

Why don't you just shut your forum to guests?
set Allow guests to browse the forum to NO (in smf admin > features and options > general)

The repair_settings for 2.0 should be in the tools section.  9note: I just looked and it is NOT.... I'll put a dev on it.)

Слaва
Украинi

mredd

Thanks Kindred.

When members navigate to the forum the warning and login template are displayed ( http://lonblitz.com/FTACsmf2.0/ )

I would like to edit the warning text and remove the login/register link.

Also I would like to center the main nav menu of the forum.

Thanks for all your help I really appreciate it.

Regards.
edd.

Kindred

well, the warning message is in one of the language files....   possibly login.english.php

Looks like you have already removed the buttons.

As for centering the nav... use firebug - find the CSS that controls you nav list and edit the css file. :)
Слaва
Украинi

mredd

I used ( 'show' => (!$user_info['is_guest']), ) on them but changed ( guest ) to ( member ) on Home, Login and Register.

When a members logs in they see (  Home,  Help,  Search,  Admin,  Moderate,  Profile,  My Messages,  Members,  Logout  ) main nav buttons.

I shall get firebug and see what I can do.

Many thanks.

edd.

Herman's Mixen

Quote from: mredd on June 15, 2011, 04:50:12 PM
I used ( 'show' => (!$user_info['is_guest']), ) on them but changed ( guest ) to ( member ) on Home, Login and Register.

change

'show' => (!$user_info['is_guest']),

to

'show' => (!$user_info['is_logged']),

;)

exept for login and register other wise they coudn't log in or register at your site :P
Met vriendelijke groet, The Burglar!

House Mixes | Mixcloud | Any Intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent.
It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction. - Albert Einstein

Former Godfather of our dutch community ;)

Kindred

actually... if you never want to show the login or register buttons, just use
'show' => false,

(note: is_member is not a valid check )
Слaва
Украинi

mredd

Thanks Burglar, Kindred.

I think I am just about there.

now I would like to remove the news and search from guests view and change the ( Please login or register. ) and just have Please login only.

Many thanks for all the help.

Regards.
edd.

Kindred

you can disable registration in the smf admin
Слaва
Украинi

mredd

Thanks.

I did that but the link still shows.

I now need the 2.0 repair_settings.php file, as I have mest up MySQL table prefix:  ::)

Regards.
edd.

Kindred

you can fix that by correcting it in your settings.php file...

As for removing the register...it could be as simple as editing the language file (not sure which one) but I suspect that it might not be that straight forward.
Слaва
Украинi

Herman's Mixen

just attach index.template.php to this topic so i can filter some code to get what ya want ;)
Met vriendelijke groet, The Burglar!

House Mixes | Mixcloud | Any Intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent.
It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction. - Albert Einstein

Former Godfather of our dutch community ;)

mredd

Hi Burglar.

I read you could do the prefix from a backup and notepad ++ but I'm just lost not sure what to look for  :-[

I have attached my index.template.php.

Many thanks.
edd.

PS.

I just tried to do it again and I am getting -

Notice: Undefined index: install_step_welcome in /home/lonblit1/public_html/FTAC/install.php on line 109

Notice: Undefined index: install_step_writable in /home/lonblit1/public_html/FTAC/install.php on line 110

Notice: Undefined index: install_step_databaseset in /home/lonblit1/public_html/FTAC/install.php on line 111

Notice: Undefined index: install_step_forum in /home/lonblit1/public_html/FTAC/install.php on line 112

Notice: Undefined index: install_step_databasechange in /home/lonblit1/public_html/FTAC/install.php on line 113

Notice: Undefined index: install_step_admin in /home/lonblit1/public_html/FTAC/install.php on line 114

Notice: Undefined index: install_step_delete in /home/lonblit1/public_html/FTAC/install.php on line 115

Notice: Undefined index: db_settings in /home/lonblit1/public_html/FTAC/install.php on line 680

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING in /home/lonblit1/public_html/FTAC/Settings.php on line 34

mredd

I believe I now have my database prefix sorted after allot of trial and error.

Only thing know is when I nav to my forum I get ( Unknown column 'a.attachment_type' in 'field list' )  ::)  ???

I have another forum, could I use the database backup I made and put that with the other forum.

Thanks again for all the help.
Regards.
edd.

Kindred

no, you can't use one db backup for another...

but I thought you already ran the upgrade?
Слaва
Украинi

mredd

Illori

mredd

Hi Illori.

I donloaded the SMF 2.0 Large upgrade pack and followed the instructions here http://docs.simplemachines.org/index.php?topic=341

Regards.
edd.

Illori

that does not tell me exactly what you have done. i know what it says there but some users tend to miss things which causes issues.

mredd

Hi Illori.

Right this is where I am with this.

I have now run a backup of my server so everything is back to as it was before I attempted the upgrade.

One thing, do I have to put the forum into maintenance mode ? as every time I do, it screws up me database and I have to do a server restore to get everything back.

Illori

you do not need to put it in maintenance mode, and since that control is in a file i dont see why you would need to restore the database back after enabling it.

mredd

I used the repair_settings.php to turn m-mode off and it messed up the datadase  ::)

So as you can imagine I am now in a do, I don't I try to run the upgrade again.

Regards.
edd.

Illori

the repair_settings.php file simply changes one number in the settings.php file. which you can also do manually it has nothing to do with the database at all.

mredd

I put the forum in m-mode via settings.php file and that worked fine Thanks for that. I am now going to upload the large upgrade files to the server.

One thing when I run the upgrade will it know what my database settings are or will I have to enter them in ?.

Thanks again.
Regards.
edd.

Illori

it should know them given the server can read your settings.php file.

mredd

Hi Folks.

I am sorted now.  :) :) :)

Many many thanks to everyone who help me out here.

There are a few tweaks I want to do but that can wait for now.

I will mark this thread as solved.

Many thanks again folks.

Kind regards.
edd.

Advertisement: