News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

2.0 text box display issue (Chrome/Firefox) on "New Topic" and "Reply" screens

Started by tethead, June 15, 2011, 12:24:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tethead

Not sure what's happening here as we were running 2.0 RC5 without any issues, but just upgraded to 2.0 final last night and now there is no right-side edge to the text boxes when creating new topics or replying to threads.  It seems to work fine on the latest Safari and Firefox releases for Mac, but Chrome for Mac has a problem, and we've had some Windows users with Firefox complain about the same thing.  I've attached 2 screenshots of it - you'll notice the one where it just bleeds off the edge of the page (no matter how wide i make the browser window) and there are no scroll bars, while the other is sized without a problem.

running default/Curve theme without any mods enabled at the moment...  any ideas??

(edited to add a user's upload of the problem on Firefox for Windows)
week4paug.net - a website for all things PHiSH

Illori

Illori

did you try the above solution? did you clear your browser cache? next time please start a separate topic for your issue.

tethead

clearing the cache worked for me and for our users - great tip, thanks!!

Lady Night Owl

I thought clearing the cache worked the other day, but it looks like it only worked on the full reply box.

The quick reply box is still stretched.
Running SMF 2.0.1

Illori

make sure you applied the fix correctly, as the same code is applied for both locations unless your theme has it more customized then the default.

deathshadow

My users are having this error, flushing the cache isn't working, and even on my machine where it does work, the textarea resize is non-functional in chrome (both the scripted and the one built in). I tried setting textarea {resize:none; } to see if maybe the chrome one was competing with the scripted one -- No joy.

You know, it speaks volumes when something that worked fine in the RC is busted in Final... Who do you think you are, Opera? :D

Of course, being that half the script.js file is blown on browser sniffing instead of capabilities detection... Because that ALWAYS works well.
"There are two ways of constructing a software design: One way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies and the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies." – C.A.R. Hoare, The 1980 ACM Turing Award Lecture
http://www.cutcodedown.com

tethead

Quote from: Lady Night Owl on June 15, 2011, 03:00:33 PM
I thought clearing the cache worked the other day, but it looks like it only worked on the full reply box.

The quick reply box is still stretched.

strange, mine is not.  clearing the cache on Chrome for Mac (the latest Dev build) cleared up all the display issues for me.

deathshadow

Quote from: tethead on June 15, 2011, 07:19:55 PM
strange, mine is not.  clearing the cache on Chrome for Mac (the latest Dev build) cleared up all the display issues for me.
Does the resize work for you too? I can't get that to fly in Chrome on any machine with any amount of refreshes, even the ones that don't have the box size problem.

Though it's fine in Safari -- yeah, they're the same browser engine, sure... It's funny because in chrome you get the little resize arrow when you mouse-over that bottom bar, but when you click+drag is selects text instead.
"There are two ways of constructing a software design: One way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies and the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies." – C.A.R. Hoare, The 1980 ACM Turing Award Lecture
http://www.cutcodedown.com

Antechinus

Quote from: deathshadow on June 15, 2011, 06:41:14 PM
My users are having this error, flushing the cache isn't working, and even on my machine where it does work, the textarea resize is non-functional in chrome (both the scripted and the one built in). I tried setting textarea {resize:none; } to see if maybe the chrome one was competing with the scripted one -- No joy.

You know, it speaks volumes when something that worked fine in the RC is busted in Final... Who do you think you are, Opera? :D

Of course, being that half the script.js file is blown on browser sniffing instead of capabilities detection... Because that ALWAYS works well.

Works fine for me. Reply boxes are the right size and the built-in Chrome resize works too. The target for the latter is quite small though. It's not easy to hit in a hurry.

Now I'm on Windows but the OP was on Mac, and clearing cache worked for them. So, at the risk of getting my head bitten off, are you sure all the files are updated correctly?

ETA: Thought of something else. When your users are clearing their cache, are they clearing everything back to 3,000 BC or are they just clearing the last day or week? IF the latter, then that would explain why their pages are still borked. Note that I'm just trying to eliminate the obvious here. If that's not it then we'll have to dig deeper.

Exact versions for OS and browser might help too.

Lady Night Owl

Running SMF 2.0.1

Antechinus

Has your theme, or any of your installed mods, changed the coding for the quick reply?

newtoallthis

My site was upgraded to 2.0 yesterday evening.

Some of my members have experienced the text box phenomenon today, but since it is only some and not all I concluded that it was a browser issue rather than a SMF bug. Glad to read that a cache refresh ought to fix it.
SMF 2.0.11
Simple Portal 2.3.3
Aeva Media 1.4c
MediaWiki 1.24.0

Advertisement: