News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

SMF Mail Read Tracker

Started by pftq, June 17, 2011, 05:41:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pftq

Link to Mod

Latest Update: 2015/08/18: Updated to handle gmail prescanning emails.  Fixed install bug in SMF2 version.

This is a fairly straight forward script that allows you to keep track of which members have read their email announcements or not.  The script logs each announcement sent out to members and sets up a hidden image in each email so that opening the email sends a ping to the website.  This is useful for those wondering if your email announcements ever get through or you are just being ignored. :P

This mod has the capability of tracking individual replies (notifications) as well but only if the SMF Mailing List Mod is also installed.  It doesn't make sense otherwise because normal SMF notifications only tell the user to read the topic on the website - and users have to choose to be notified, meaning it would be their own obligation to read the email.

*Note that by nature of the mod's implementation, this mod would not be able to track emails sent as plain text (for members who don't accept HTML emails.)

WasdMan

How does this method because I did not learn.
Admin menu, where you find it?

pftq

It is under the post you announce next to the IP/Report to Mod.

MaXiForum.cz

pftq

Sesquipedalian

The installation code in setup.php is buggy for version 2.01 of this mod.

• On lines 6 and 10, the code has {$db_prefix}mailread instead of just {db_prefix}mailread. I had to delete the $ from both before the installation would succeed.
  • On a fresh installation, the operation on line 10 throws an error about duplicate rows. I worked around it by commenting out that line. From what I can tell, the test you are performing on line 8 isn't working, at least not for a freshly created, empty table.
I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

pftq

Fixed.  Thanks for letting me know.

Advertisement: