News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Documentation

Started by Jorin, June 20, 2011, 03:57:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jorin

Want to talk about the documentation of SMF and the change of the "help" link in the board navigation in SMF 2.0. If you are using a international language pack (f.e. german) this link will lead to documentation sites that not exist nor will be in the near and not so near future. You have only one german translater right now with not enough time to translate the german informal languages files right now. How and when will the "help" of international SMF forums be real functional? Are there plans?

I love SMF, I really do. But international support was difficult from the beginning and gets even worse.  :-\

feline

Of you have time, you can help to translate the German language ...  ;)

Jorin

I don't have time for this. Just wanted to say I am not happy with this course. But maybe there's a reason for the changing of the "help"?

Jorin

Seems there is no reason.  :-X

Illori

once the translation module starts to work correctly the docs team will start working with others on getting the wiki translated. until then you will just have to wait to get the wiki in any other language then english.

Jorin

But why didn't the SMF team keep the help template like it's in the older versions till the wiki is translated into other languages?

Say you have a lot of members without knowledge of the english language and without experience with SMF or other forum software. Will I have to explain them what they can do with SMF on the phone?  ;)

Illori

that was their choice, good or bad but it was their choice at this time. there is a mod to revert back to the old help page though.

Jorin

I hoped to get an answer from the team. But thanks anyway, Illori.

Illori

well i am on the team...

Jorin

Oh. But whom do you mean by this?

Quote from: Illori on June 22, 2011, 05:58:20 AM
that was their choice, good or bad but it was their choice at this time.

Illori

the team had discussed it, some seem to not agree with their decision, but it was theirs to make to make things easier in the future.

Jorin

I am really not happy with it, but okay. Thanks.  :)

Illori

Jorin

Thanks again for the link.

Jorin

Great.  ::) As for sure it only contains an english help file. So where do I get a ExtendedManual.german.php from?  ;D

You see what the problem is? I have to translate the ExtendedManual.english.php (more than 860 lines) or have to write my own online help, which I will do in the next few days.

Illori

i am not sure if the language files were translated into other languages for that mod.

Advertisement: