News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Curious Spammer Observation

Started by Road Rash Jr., June 20, 2011, 10:47:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldrow

Quote from: Kindred on July 05, 2011, 10:53:16 AM
actually, that is distinctly untrue.

I run a site with global interest. I have valid users from .ru, .fr, .hk, etc.  Additionally, valid .info accounts are on the rise as more people use .info, .tv, and all the other new extensions.

I have several hundred people, if not thousand, who still use hotmail and msn.
I have seen MAY spammers come in with gmail accounts as well...

the names, yes, can be an indicator, but not by any means a clear one.

So, if a user makes it through the various anti-spam measures...   it is often a wait until they start posting before you know if it is a spammer or not.

And Road Rash, any update on that code snippet? If there truly is an issue in 2.0, we want to know!

Actually this is VERY TRUE.  Thanks for the snide remark.  I run a website that only southern fraternity/sorority members at southern colleges join.  This pretty much eliminates a SINGLE foreigner from ever wanting to join/being allowed to join my forum... so the fact that I get hundreds of foreign registrants a day means there are either a ******ton of exchange students about to join greek life in the south (where they wouldn't get bids anyways)  or there are spammers that all of a sudden found my site and how to get into it magically when I upgraded to 2.0.  Get over yourself.  This version has SERIOUS flaws that effects a significant number of users and for some reason there are people at here sneering at the problem rather than admitting it.

Illori

then submit a security report and the team can try to do something

Kindred

Look, while you may have seen an increase in spammers from those domains (because your audience is extremely limited) making a general statement like "all users from a .ru domain are spammers" is not true. That is what I took exception to.

As for an increase in spammers due to 2.0 - I am running 3 sites on 2.0 now and have not seen such an increase. So, if you (or RR) are seeing it, then we need more detailed information, since you seem to be the only ones reporting it. We need DETAILS. If Road Rash would kindly share his "code snippet" which he claims is responsible and/or his fix, we would gladly correct any issues...   I will say it one more time though, without actually SEEING the issue we can do very little.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

LiroyvH

Lol, the ignorance in this topic is starting to take unseen proportions...

Let me try to explain it more clearly:

SMF 2.0 DOES NOT HAVE ANY CODE THAT ADVERTISES ITSELF TO ALL THE SPAMMERS IN THE WORLD!
SMF 2.0 DOES NOT HAVE ANY CODE THAT ADVERTISES ITSELF TO ALL THE SPAMMERS IN THE WORLD!
... Next to that, 1.1.x forums have been hit just as hard and people had spam issues far before 2.0 (Final) was released. Have a look at the News Board "forum attacks topic". -_-

If we would know all the spammers in the world and how to direct them here, justice department would be raiding us right now and thousands of people will be arrested.
I dont see the party van at the datacenter yet... Gosh, why would that be?
Because we dont advertise forums to spammers!

If you dont know how to protect yourself from spammers, it is easy to blame SMF.
Take responsibility and blame yourself rather than keep moaning about your own mistakes.
The internet has a increase in spam activity which:
AFFECTS ALL FORUM, BLOG AND OTHER COMMUNITY SOFTWARE
... Which is not limited to SMF.

Protect yourself against the spammers, dont complain here if you are too lazy to take responsibility and do something about it... There are tons of people here that DID something to lock the spammers out and cant be happier! Look in this very thread, they reduced spam activity to zero. How? With a little bit of effort. Do they complain? No, because they did what has to be done rather than being lazy and simply blame SMF for the spamtrouble...
Switch to other software, you will see you will get hit with spammers just as hard.

Hope the repeats made it easyer to read. Saying it once is apparently not sufficient to make it trough to some people...
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

Advertisement: