News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

SMF Theme Color Editor

Started by CyberAlien, June 21, 2011, 07:52:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrGrumpy

That would just a suggestion, how about "SMF Theme Color Editor" instead then as it covers all themes, I'm just thinking of a way to make it more noticeable to members of exactly what it is.
the possession of knowledge is worthless unless imparted upon others
My Custom Themes
2.0 themes only - I don't do 1.1.x

MrGrumpy

Cool, makes it clearer for everyone and should get, what is a great piece of kit for forum owners, used a lot more and help to cut down the support questions for how to recolor themes.
the possession of knowledge is worthless unless imparted upon others
My Custom Themes
2.0 themes only - I don't do 1.1.x

GraphicJunki

Willie

Great idea!  I need to change my 2.0 colors to match my site's logo and was thinking how nice it would be to have just such a program.  I use Rocket Theme Joomla and my template has a "color chooser".  I gave up on the thought of asking for one here at SMF and was just looking for all the places in CSS to modify.   :)  Thanks a lot.   And, for the SMF folks, you got the thread right where I could find it before asking for help!  :)   It is much appreciated!  I will go play with my new toy (tool).  :)

CyberAlien

Quote from: Willie on June 24, 2011, 12:31:12 AM
I need to change my 2.0 colors to match my site's logo and was thinking how nice it would be to have just such a program.
There is a function for that. If you want to match blue color of Curve theme to a color on your logo, click "match color" button in blue color editor block, enter your color's hex code (or move sliders to set your color), submit form and script will automatically move all sliders to change blue color to one you have entered.

Curve's blue color has very low saturation, so you might have to adjust saturation after using "match color" function or check "do not change saturation" in color match popup.

helike13

Which color does the 3rd slider modify? I see no change when I slide it.

CyberAlien

div.plainbox. On sample its background in bottom right. On this page you can see it below posts where "jump to" box is.

Willie

I have downloaded all the files for my new colors.  Do I copy them over the curve2 theme?

CyberAlien

No need to. Install a new theme from that zip file you downloaded.

Willie

Those files are not a new theme, are they?  I need to learn to make a new theme using those files? Copying them over the default did not work.  :(

CyberAlien

They are. It was created via option to create a new theme, so it doesn't include all template files. It does include all images, css files and other files necessary to install it as a new theme.

To install it click "admin", click "themes and layout" and at the end of page you'll see option to upload file. Put your zip file in that file input and click "install" button.

Willie

It came out a little rough.  Did I mess up?

Is it hard to change the text colors manually?  My site color is the dark blue.  I need the background header to be dark blue. It looks like it is going to be hard to do. The dark color is the page background.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

This seems like a great tool, really - if only there were more themes there to work with. :)
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

CyberAlien

Its up to theme authors. Option to upload themes is there, all they have to do is upload it. So if you want a specific theme, poke its author.

There is a small catch though: theme has to pass automatic validation. I've noticed that many SMF themes have invalid images, including 1 invalid image in Curve theme (images/im_switch.gif was incomplete: file ended in middle of local palette block, but I've replaced it with fixed image before uploading). Some other themes have png images with .gif extension. It usually can be fixed by simply opening and then saving (better use "save for web" option, so it would optimize image) image in Photoshop.

Antechinus

The .png renamed as .gif is a deliberate dodge used by themers to get around the fact that SMF markup calls gifs in a lot of places. They want nicer effects so use the renaming trick. ;)

CyberAlien

I see, so its intentional. :) Problem is, script uses different parsers to handle png and gif images, so if image is incorrect it won't be parsed.

I'll think of a workaround for SMF themes, so such images would be parsed.

CyberAlien

Changed. From now on script will parse png images with .gif extension instead of showing error message.

Please upload your themes, tell me if you'll encounter any problems.

piku2008

Advertisement: