"You are unable to connect to simplemachines.org's latest news file."

Started by Johnnymushio, June 23, 2011, 04:06:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnnymushio

After installing 2.0, when I go to the Admin panel I am greeted with the message in the title. Also, it says:

SMF File    Your Version    Current Version
SMF Package    SMF 2.0    ??
Sources    ??    ??
Default Templates    ??    ??
Language Files    ??    ??

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

First you might try running the Scheduled task "Fetch Simple Machines Files" manually once.
If this doesn't work, it should leave an entry in your error log explaining it further.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Johnnymushio

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Ok, now that says something - Do you have access to your servers errorlog? There might be something in there, telling us what is blocking your server from getting the file from simplemachines.org.

It is something on your server config most likely that is causing that to happen...
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Johnnymushio

The "SMFlog_errors" log?

EDIT

That's probably not what you meant, how would I access that via PHPMyAdmin?

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

The server's own errorlog is usually either a file you can access through FTP, or a build in function in a hosting control panel such as cPanel or Plesk.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Metaltype

I'm having exactly the same problems.

Have followed the instructions on this thread, didn't work, no entry on the board's error log, no entry on my C-panel error log!

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

That sounds strange - usually this would be caused by either the server settings, or simplemachines.org actually being down oe unreachable to your server for some reason. The first would usually leave an error log entry, the second would most probably mean that you could not get here to post..
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Metaltype

I've had this problem on on both my forums ever since I installed them.

Metaltype

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Unless I'm mistaken, the fetched info is saved to the DB - so file permissions should not play a role in it at all...
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Metaltype

Would appreciate a fix on this, as, I presume, it will stop me receiving notifications of security patches, etc.

Johnnymushio

My board has had the WSOD for a few days now. Would this problem be related to that? Was an update pushed out or something?

Illori

nothing related to this issue would cause a white screen or any issues on sm.org would related to issues happening on other forums. as far as i know sm.org is not having any issues that would cause this.

cordesh

Same Problem here.

If you have installed the Addon 'Simple Image Upload', this is the Problem.

I dont know why, but it is.

After delete 'window.onload=postimage_insert;' the Script is deactivated and the News are showing.

I dont know where the problem is in this Script.

Illori

cordesh

Thanks.. but no need ...

if i take all of  the Script from index.template.php to Post.template.php, all works fine.

Over the First Function

function template_main()

or takte the Simple Image Upload Script between

if(isset($context['current_action']) && $context['current_action'] != 'admin')
   {

}

Johnnymushio

Well I waited until 2.0.1 came out. I just did a small update. The board updates, and all my customizations were wiped out as usual, but it still says:

You are unable to connect to simplemachines.org's latest news file.
Forum version: SMF 2.0.1
Current SMF version: ??

So, I then ran a large upgrade, and it still says that.

Before running the upgrade a warning was displayed stating that some of the file paths may be incorrect, and to run repair_settings.php.

So I did that, the warning message went away, I upgraded again, and it still says the same thing.

I am not using any modifications.  :-\

I should also add that the problem only started happening from the jump from 1.x to 2.x.

Johnnymushio

I have looked for over an hour for the database error log with no luck.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

TuxDK

Don't know about the original poster, but it's still a problem for me at least.
It's been a problem since upgrading to 2.0, wasn't a problem in 1.5.x.

awolexpat

TuxDK,
I don't know if this will help you, but I had the same issue and fixed it by looking at Admin>Configuration>Languages - I had originally changed (in SMF 1.x.x) my language to English.British-utf8, but when i looked (recently some time after upgrading to 2.0 and 2.0.1) this had disappeared and for some reason Russian had appeared, along with English. I would suggest that you check your language files and make sure they are as you want them; once I uploaded the file I wanted and deleted Russian, and selected my language I was able to access the SMF files. I hope this works for you and the countless others I have heard this problem from.

TuxDK

awolexpat,

I appreciate the advise, but I didn't seem to have any problems with my language file.
I tried updating my english language file, but no result.

BTDSoft

I had the same issue with a 2.0.2 upgrade recently.

I determined first that mysql table "smf_admin_info_files" had not been created for some reason. I first attempted to track down this info and create the table. This had the same results.

What I did do that fixed it was install smf again in another directory, which did create the table and info files, which I simply imported into the existing database on the failed upgrade / install.

This fixed the "unable to connect" problem.

Hope it helps someone else.
hxxp:www.btdsoft.com [nonactive]|hxxp:www.cometomissouri.com [nonactive]|hxxp:www.btdsoft.com/forum/ [nonactive]

NightWolve

I'd like to add some solutions to this problem to help others should they encounter it.

I started triggering this error with SMF 2.0.18 recently while making changes to the custom theme. I then noticed if I switched to the default SMF theme it worked again. It's by that experience I tracked down what the problem was.

Simply adding an onload event to your body tag in HTML breaks the Live announcements Admin panel.

E.g. <body onload="Initialize();">

Solutions / Workarounds ?? There are several.

1) In your custom theme's "index.template.php" file, when printing the body tag add a condition for admin pages:

if ( isset($_GET['action']) && $_GET['action'] == 'admin' )
echo '<body>';
else
echo '<body onload="Initialize();">';

2) For some reason, if you instead use JavaScript to setup a function to be executed by the onload event, it will also avoid this problem:

window.onload = new function() {Initialize();}

3) There is a 3rd option, to explicitly call the function that refuses to execute by default when an object is created. In the default theme, find file "Admin.template.php" and the end of the "template_admin()" function, it's the first function in 2.0.18. Right at the very end of the JavaScript, before "// ]]></script>';" you can make an explicit call to the needed function to make sure the live news is loaded.

Find: "// ]]></script>';"
AddBefore:

oAdminIndex.loadAdminIndex();
// ]]></script>';"

When "var oAdminIndex = new smf_AdminIndex(...)" is executed, the function loadAdminIndex(); is also executed as an object initialization method, but when you add '<body onload="Initialize();">' it just doesn't work like that anymore.

So this solution/workaround at best will cause 2 live news loads, and probably will more guarantee other weird JavaScript changes don't affect it. Well, that's the best I can do to explain my findings, good luck!

Advertisement: