News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

Update Theme

Started by IDunc, June 25, 2011, 06:28:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IDunc

How do I update a theme without overwriting all my custom stuff?

Illori

in what way do you want to "update" it?

IDunc

A new version was released with some minor changes.

Illori

you would have to compare the old/new files and add your changes back to the new files

IDunc

Is there a program or something that can see the differences in files easily?

Illori

you could try winmerge

IDunc

Thanks, I'll give it a go.

IDunc

It worked great. But there's another problem. Check out my website: http://mwheadquarters.co.cc

At the top left, you can see the RSS and Facebook icons. The minor update for my theme was that there is a YouTube icon added there. So I got the code for the YouTube icon to appear there. But the thing is, it doesn't appear until you put a link into a box under Current Theme that asks for the social network links (there's twitter and myspace too). So I got the code that makes the YouTube icon show up there, but I don't know where to get the code that makes it so I can enter the link for the YouTube.

IDunc

ARG01

I am fairly sure that you only add a youtube url, not a code. The purpose of the icon is to direct members to your sites, or any specific youtube account. The same way as FB, Twitter, etc.

;)
No, I will not offer free downloads to Premium DzinerStuido themes. Please stop asking.

IDunc

Look at my site: http://mwheadquarters.co.cc

See the RSS feed and Facebook buttons at the top left? The creator of the site just updated the file for the theme with a YouTube button that goes with those buttons, and I don't want to have to redo all my modifications just for a YouTube button. If you have Google Chrome, or any program that lets you inspect elements, inspect that area. You'll see that there is no URL for any button in the files. It just shows the images. You add the URL in the Admin control panel in Current Theme. Once you add the URL, the button appears there. I already added the code for the images to that area, but I don't know how to make it appear, since there is no place to put my YouTube URL in the Admin CP, since I'm using the not-updated version of the theme.

Do you understand what I'm saying?

Advertisement: