Optimisation Suggestion needed for a medium-sized Forum

Started by 008Rohit, June 26, 2011, 07:30:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

008Rohit

Hello All,

I own this forum.
Stats : 25491 Posts in 1397 Topics by 6928 Members.
Most Online Ever : 175 (30 Minutes)

It is loading absolutely fine for me at the moment, still I want to know if I did the things right or not. I'm a performance freak.
Its on a shared server of MDDhosting.

So far, I've done almost everything mentioned in the thread "24 things to make your SMF Faster". Today I ran a script and marked everything read for members inactive in the past 30 days. Also, I've converted the smf_log tables to InnoDB just a few minutes ago. The innodb_buffer_pool_size is 8M. Is that insufficient for my forum? I'd like to get more optimisation suggestions. :)

Regards,
Rohit Palit
TechTage Forum - Vintage Technology - on MDDHosting - CloudLinux & LiteSpeed Powered - MDDHosting Review

Joshua Dickerson

If you're running on a shared server there is no way you can do everything in that topic.
Come work with me at Promenade Group

Need help? See the wiki. Want to help SMF? See the wiki!

Did you know you can help develop SMF? See us on Github.

How have you bettered the world today?

008Rohit

Quote from: Joshua Dickerson on June 26, 2011, 12:02:50 PM
If you're running on a shared server there is no way you can do everything in that topic.
I did the "Basic" and "Intermediate" things described there. Advanced is not possible for me because I can't edit my.cnf
TechTage Forum - Vintage Technology - on MDDHosting - CloudLinux & LiteSpeed Powered - MDDHosting Review

Joshua Dickerson

The fact that you're on shared hosting plays such a large part in it that if you've done all of that, that's probably all of the benefits you will see. Otherwise, you will need to ask your host to make changes.
Come work with me at Promenade Group

Need help? See the wiki. Want to help SMF? See the wiki!

Did you know you can help develop SMF? See us on Github.

How have you bettered the world today?

008Rohit

I just noticed that sometimes the page creation times are far more than what it used to be when It used MyISAM. Converting smf_log tables to InnoDB also increased the server load to 6.24 :o
I thought it reduces the server load and increases performance.

青山 素子

It depends on how the server is configured. Many shared hosts don't really pay much attention to optimization of database parameters.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

Advertisement: