LiveJournal Mod

Started by TheGamer, July 31, 2005, 03:30:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGamer

Link to Mod

A mod that adds a LiveJournal icon beneath your avatar, and links to your journal. It also adds a LiveJournal field in the profile. This is my first mod.

dtm.exe

Quote from: ArkServer on July 31, 2005, 05:08:27 PM
what does it do?

It adds a custom field to members' profiles which in turn adds the LiveJournal logo to their posts.

-Dan The Man

^Raven^

I love the idea of this mod but I want to know if it is in the Package Manager.  I went through the entire list of mods in the Package Manager but couldn't find it there.  Also, I want to verify that it is compatible with SMF 1.0.5 and SMF 1.1 Beta 3 Public.  Plus, does it only work with the default SMF theme or will it work with others?

Gamer, you're staff on my forum so you know the modified YaBBSE theme.  Will it work there?
Jon Reinhart

Owner, CWF GameCast

Public Relations Coordinator, Battlestar Galactica Wiki

dtm.exe

Quote from: ^Raven^ on August 02, 2005, 02:16:10 PM
I love the idea of this mod but I want to know if it is in the Package Manager.  I went through the entire list of mods in the Package Manager but couldn't find it there.  Also, I want to verify that it is compatible with SMF 1.0.5 and SMF 1.1 Beta 3 Public.  Plus, does it only work with the default SMF theme or will it work with others?

Gamer, you're staff on my forum so you know the modified YaBBSE theme.  Will it work there?

Just upload it through the package manager.  It's compatible with both SMF 1.0.5 and SMF 1.1 Beta 3 Public.

How to make mods work with themes?

-Dan The Man

TheGamer

Yeah. And I looked and it *should* work with your other themes, the way I see it.

^Raven^

Quote from: OIDanTheManIO on August 02, 2005, 02:19:52 PM
Quote from: ^Raven^ on August 02, 2005, 02:16:10 PM

Just upload it through the package manager.  It's compatible with both SMF 1.0.5 and SMF 1.1 Beta 3 Public.

How to make mods work with themes?

-Dan The Man

Hey Dan, I checked but I didn't see it in the package manager.  Are you sure it in there?
Jon Reinhart

Owner, CWF GameCast

dtm.exe

Quote from: ^Raven^ on August 02, 2005, 03:05:15 PM
Hey Dan, I checked but I didn't see it in the package manager.  Are you sure it in there?

No no.  I meant DOWNLOAD the mod and UPLOAD it through the package manager.

-Dan The Man

modtang

This is a popular mod on my board but users are asking if there is one they can use with MySpace. How hard do you think it would it be to re-write this for MySpace? I've tried but I keep getting errors. Any chance you'd be able to/interested in helping?

dtm.exe

Quote from: modtang on August 09, 2005, 11:19:06 AM
This is a popular mod on my board but users are asking if there is one they can use with MySpace. How hard do you think it would it be to re-write this for MySpace? I've tried but I keep getting errors. Any chance you'd be able to/interested in helping?

I can do it for you.  I'll have the mod up later today.

-Dan The Man

^Raven^

Quote from: OIDanTheManIO on August 02, 2005, 03:09:29 PM
Quote from: ^Raven^ on August 02, 2005, 03:05:15 PM

No no.  I meant DOWNLOAD the mod and UPLOAD it through the package manager.

-Dan The Man

Oh, and that'd make it available via Package Manager for everyone to use for installation?
Jon Reinhart

Owner, CWF GameCast

dtm.exe

Quote from: ^Raven^ on August 09, 2005, 11:32:02 AM
Oh, and that'd make it available via Package Manager for everyone to use for installation?

It is availible for everyone to install...

Quote from: modtang on August 09, 2005, 11:19:06 AM

See the attached file.

-Dan The Man

^Raven^

I mean by uploading the mod via the Package Manager, that everyone will be able to install it via the Package Manager.
Jon Reinhart

Owner, CWF GameCast

dtm.exe

Quote from: ^Raven^ on August 09, 2005, 12:11:25 PM
I mean by uploading the mod via the Package Manager, that everyone will be able to install it via the Package Manager.

I'm really confused by what you're saying...

-Dan The Man

^Raven^

I'll talk to you on AIM and hopefully unconfuse you and then you can post here for everyone else to know if it is possible or not.  Otherwise, they'll get confused with all these posts.
Jon Reinhart

Owner, CWF GameCast

Kindred

Raven.

If you upload the mod file via the package manager upload function, you can then install it on YOUR system. Once it is installed on your system, it will be functional for all users on your system...  unless you are using an alternate theme that has a modified display.template.php or profile.template.php, in which case you will have to manually install the mod into yuor theme.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

^Raven^

So what you're saying Kindred is that by uploading the mod via the Package Manager that the mod will not be available for everyone else to install via the Package Manager?
Jon Reinhart

Owner, CWF GameCast

Kindred

NO!

The package manager on your system is on your system.
It has nothing to do with anyone else and has nothing to do with the USERS on your system.

By you (as an admin) loading the file through the package manager, you will then have the option to INSTALL the mod.

Once you INSTALL the mod, the functions that the mod added will be activated and will be in use on your default theme.
(which in this case means that all of your USERS will not have the option to add their livejournal entries)

Once more:  The package manager has nothing to do with the FUNCTION of this mod. The Package manager is the method that you use to copy this mod from your local hard disk to your server, and then to install the mod into your SMF system.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

^Raven^

Okay then other than helping me I don't really see what use this has.  I'm wanting the mod to be installable via the Package Manager for EVERYONE!  But, I do appreciate your clarification.
Jon Reinhart

Owner, CWF GameCast

Kindred

raven....  what are you talking about??????

You want the live journal mod to be available to the users on your system... Correct?

if so:
1) Download the mod package
2) Go to your site admin, package manager and upload the package.
3) In the package manager, after upload, click Apply Mod
4) enter any FTP info (if required), verfiy that the mod will install correctly and click Proceed
5) The mod is now installed for all of the users on your site.
(#5 assumes that you are using the default theme. If you are using a different theme, some manual installation may be required)
Слaва
Украинi

1MileCrash

this is what raven means, he/she is really confused

Raven wants to know if uploading this through the package manager on his/her forum will add it to the "List" to everyone elses package manager.

Raven- this "List" is not important at all. It's just some of the most popular packages convieniently in a list in your admin interface. It has no say what-so-ever in what mods you can and cant install via the package manager.. Installing a mod from that list is *no different* from downloading one from here and uploading it to the package manager. Ignore the list. It's the exact same thing, just with a download link in a different place.
The only thing php can't do is tell you how much milk is left in the fridge.

^Raven^

Hi Tippmaster.  Yeah, I want the LJ Mod to be in that list.  There's a lot of people, myself included until before today, who only use the Package Manager to install mods.  There's also a lot of people who don't know you can DL the zip for a mod and then upload it via the Package Manager so that you don't have to do a manual installation.

That's why I want this mod in the list.  My friend Gamer here did it and did a nice job and I'd like it to have the fair chance of as wide a distribution as possible.  That's all.
Jon Reinhart

Owner, CWF GameCast

Kindred

Raven....

You are very confused.

You can not add anything to the general package manager package servers.

The SMF Package server is handled by the SMF team. All the mods on this site eventually get added to the package server, but it is not up to you to add them.
(especially since you seem to have no idea how the system works)
Слaва
Украинi

^Raven^

Kindred I am going to politely ask you to step back.  Your last post was received with a very insulting tone, which I do not appreciate. 

I sought assistance on a matter, which others were helping me on.  Then you provided additional, yet unsolicited, information.  I appreciate your eagerness to please but your bedside manner is less than satisfactory in regards to me.  Thank you.
Jon Reinhart

Owner, CWF GameCast

dtm.exe

Quote from: ^Raven^ on August 10, 2005, 03:03:54 PM
Kindred I am going to politely ask you to step back.  Your last post was received with a very insulting tone, which I do not appreciate. 

I sought assistance on a matter, which others were helping me on.  Then you provided additional, yet unsolicited, information.  I appreciate your eagerness to please but your bedside manner is less than satisfactory in regards to me.  Thank you.

All he said was "You are very confused."

-Dan The Man

modtang

Wow, Dan. Thanks so much for doing that. :D

Couple of points to make...

(1) In modification.xml there is a 'LiveJournal' instead of a 'MySpace'.

<operation>
<!-- Search for this text before the code we add.  You can also search for after, and the end of the file. -->
<search position="before"><![CDATA[<td><input type="text" name="websiteUrl" size="50" value="', $context['member']['website']['url'], '" /></td>]]></search>
<!-- Add this text when we find it.  Note that it's on it's own line on purpose, and the CDATA keeps things clean. -->
<add><![CDATA[</tr><tr>
<td><b>Live Journal: </b></td> <td><input type="text" name="default_options[MySpace]" size="50" value="', @$context['member']['options']['MySpace'], '" /></td>

]]></add>
</operation>

(2) If you're using a non-default theme you will need to upload MySpace.gif into the image directory of the theme you are using.

(3) Dan, would it be possible to make it so that if someone views your profile (http://url/index.php?action=profile) that the MySpace username was also a link?

Thanks again. My users are gonna love this. Another suggestion: How about one for Last.fm, formerly Audioscrobbler (if/when you have the time)?  8)

Insane Ninja

i rewrote both mods,
.compensating for tab spacing,
.repairing all the different little problems with word placement,
.and livejournal's problem that it would conflict with the origional mod it was based on..
.and other such things such as adding fields for usernames and such,
.and simple language support

i was deciding if i should submit them on the site if theres still interest...

i also happened to make extra graphics for both the myspace and livejournal mods, based on the "simple mini black" button set (Link)

^Raven^

I think it'd be awesome for you to upload those and to also work with the original mod creator for future versions.
Jon Reinhart

Owner, CWF GameCast

pistola

I'm not entirely sure if this is where I post this, but:

I am running into an error while trying to apply the mod in the package manager. Executing the modification on ./Themes/default/Display.template.php is failing. Is there a problem with it?

Advertisement: