News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

SMF 2.0 Gold Causing Quick Reply/Reply Stretch

Started by SD-X, June 27, 2011, 07:12:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SD-X

Ever since upgrading from SMF 2.0 RC5 to SMF 2.0 Gold, I have run into a very unusual issue. On my custom theme, Whisper Gray, (which the creator for has disappeared off the internet), the Quick Reply box seems to be off-center and stretched way off to the right, actually disappearing under the theme. I have tried to edit both it's CSS files, as well as the SMF 2.0 Gold Default theme's files, and I just cannot seem to get it to change at all...and it's stretching pretty far. I have cleared the cache after every change, but to no avail. I saw a topic outlining changes to themes between RC5 and Gold, but everything I attempted relating to it didn't help. Another forum I use that just updated from SMF 2.0 RC5 to SMF 2.0 Gold also has a similar issue. They are using the Default theme and it seems that their normal Reply box with stretch the same way off the screen if a user types one long line into it, so it leads me to believe this is an issue on the forums' end and not the themes'. Any suggestions?

Here's the Quick Reply bug on my forum:
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb187/ms-sugard-x/smf2quickreplybug.png

And here's the normal Reply bug, as mentioned on another forum I use:
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb187/ms-sugard-x/smf2replybug.png

(The normal Reply bug actually stretches the box and moves the forum on the screen with no scrollbar only if you type enough into it. It isn't stretched to begin with like the Quick Reply box is on my forum.)

Antechinus

Link? Browser? OS? Any details that may be relevant.

Eudemon

go to ur theme's index.css
find
#quickReplyOptions form textarea
change everything inside the { }
to
height: 100px;
width: 635px;
max-width: 100%;
min-width: 100%;
margin: 0.25em 0 1em 0;

Illori

Paulo Beleco

This problems has been reported on the Portuguese forum, also!

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=439690.0

I believe that the CSS is missing some formatting for both reply boxes...

Antechinus

Quote from: OPI have tried to edit both it's CSS files, as well as the SMF 2.0 Gold Default theme's files, and I just cannot seem to get it to change at all...and it's stretching pretty far. I have cleared the cache after every change, but to no avail. I saw a topic outlining changes to themes between RC5 and Gold, but everything I attempted relating to it didn't help. Another forum I use that just updated from SMF 2.0 RC5 to SMF 2.0 Gold also has a similar issue. They are using the Default theme and it seems that their normal Reply box with stretch the same way off the screen if a user types one long line into it, so it leads me to believe this is an issue on the forums' end and not the themes'.

This is why I asked for more details.

Eudemon

QuoteI have tried to edit both it's CSS files
or maybe somehow the changes didn't get updated in css
did u upload it to a wrong theme by mistake? or did u clear both browser and forum cache?

SD-X

Guys, I tried everything you suggested both on the Whisper Gray and SMF 2.0 Gold Default themes, and yes, as stated I cleared the cache after each change. I have tried many different width settings on every CSS file containing that code in both themes and I can't even get it to change at all. I even used very small numbers to see if it would change in the slightest. It's mind-boggling.

As for the websites, mine is http://arfd.argonathrpg.com/forum/ and it's only Quick Reply that I've seen affected so far, but I haven't tested the normal Reply bug on there yet. The second website, which is not mine, but has the normal Reply bug is http://fbi.argonathrpg.com/forum/ and requires registration to access. I haven't checked the Quick Reply bug there yet either.

Antechinus

Browser? OS? Again: any details which may be relevant.

SD-X

Quote from: Antechinus on June 27, 2011, 08:37:53 PM
Browser? OS? Again: any details which may be relevant.

Google Chrome and Firefox seem to be affected, Internet Explorer is fine.
Doesn't appear to be OS-specific.

P.S. Normal Reply bug isn't on my forum, so I may have to contact the second forum and see about their bug separately then. Seems they don't have the Quick Reply bug either.

Antechinus

Whch versions of those browsers have the problem? Come on mate, this is like pulling teeth. Details, please.

SD-X

Quote from: Antechinus on June 27, 2011, 08:50:17 PM
Whch versions of those browsers have the problem? Come on mate, this is like pulling teeth. Details, please.

Seems to be Google Chrome 12.x, and Firefox 4 and 5. Apologies, haven't slept much lately so I'm sure this support request isn't very detailed. If I forget something else that you need to know, just slap me. :)

Antechinus

Ok thanks. Will take a look later with those browsers and see what happens. If a test account could be set up with basic reply permissions that might be helpful too.

SD-X

Quote from: Antechinus on June 27, 2011, 09:18:40 PM
Ok thanks. Will take a look later with those browsers and see what happens. If a test account could be set up with basic reply permissions that might be helpful too.
Thanks for your help. As for the account, on my forum specifically, any normal user can reply in a normal topic, so feel free to create an account as desired. Normal accounts have normal permissions by default.

Antechinus

Still waiting for the activation email. Could you please activate the account? Same username as here.

DarkValentine

This should help. Open the index.css file of your theme, and locate the following

Locate the following line below (Should be line 1910, depending on your theme installed)
post_wrapper

Find in between the { } symbols
float:left;
width:100%;

Replace with
float:left;
width:90%;

Do this for every theme you have installed. It will put the normal reply back to working correct order. I had the same problem with normal posting, until I looked it up in the index.css file. When I tried quick reply, it gave the same situation. So I figured that both problems are related, just in different areas of the index.css file.

There is still a mild issue with the post appearance once the above is tried. So I'm working on finding that myself, so it's a step in the right direction.

Antechinus

That class has absolutely nothing to do with the quick reply or the full reply in the default theme, and yes it would very definitely cause issues with the post layout if you made the change you mentioned.

DarkValentine

I see. Well, I did an adjusting of it a little more. setting width to 90 instead of 50 seems to be more appropriate and put it back to a somewhat normal order. And while said class has nothing to do with the quick reply or full reply, whenever I tried the full reply option before finding this thread, I had the same similar problem as the OP did in this thread.

My problem came originally after applying the fix for the quick reply, which in turn affected the full reply & new post option as well when I tried to reverse what I did, or edit a post for that matter. I do understand that while I may have found a possible link between the two, despite it's looks, it's not a permanent fix. So I am inclined to wait until an official fix is made ready, or someone posts a better solution.

I'll edit my above post to compensate until then.

SD-X

Well, gave it a try anyway to see what would happen. The only file containing the code was the index.css in the SMF 2.0 Gold Default theme anyway, so I'll just revert the mere 2 numbers ;)

Ironically not only did it not affect the Quick Reply box, but it seems to have no affect on my forum whatsoever. Strange that I didn't even get the bug that was mentioned to have been created by it...

Paulo Beleco

Has someone tried this?

Where you have this:

/* This division wraps the entire forum when a forum width is set. */
#toolbar-wrap, #head-wrap, #user-wrap, #body-wrap, #foot-wrap {

Replace with this:

/* This division wraps the entire forum when a forum width is set. */
#toolbar-wrap, #head-wrap, #user-wrap, #body-wrap, #foot-wrap, #message.editor {

Advertisement: