News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

core.xxxx files?

Started by Durr, June 28, 2011, 05:36:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Durr

Hi,

I get core.xxxx files in my root smf forum directory randomly.

They are about 37 mb each so they are pretty huge.

What is causing them ? Can I disable it from happening.

SMF 2 Final, but it happeneded ever since I am using SMF since version SMF RC 2.3

Thanks,
I use SMF 2 Final

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Core dumps are caused by misbehaving applications on the server. SMF does not cause Core Dumps, but for example PHP (used by SMF) can do so.
It is best you contact your host about them, and ask them to investigate what is causing them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Core_dump
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Durr

Ok I see.

By the way I'm getting error_log files in my root forum directory aswell, spammed with:

[29-Jun-2011 16:54:09] PHP Warning:  mysql_real_escape_string() expects parameter 2 to be resource, boolean given in /home/x/public_html/forum/Sources/Subs-Db-mysql.php on line 132
[29-Jun-2011 16:54:09] PHP Warning:  mysql_real_escape_string() expects parameter 2 to be resource, boolean given in /home/x/public_html/forum/Sources/Subs-Db-mysql.php on line 132
I use SMF 2 Final

theisz

I have 13gig worth of these core files as well and this is the response I get from my host.

"I placed the reason of the errors at ".../errors.core.dump.txt". As you can see the SMF is attempting to access memory that doesnt belong to it. This appears to be an SMF issue."

I attached the file he mentioned above.

So now I'm nowhere.  I have SMF blaming my host and my host blaming SMF.  In other words I'm boned because no one will help.

Durr

About the core.xxx files I dont get them all the time though.

Its infrequent.. and if I delete them, then maybe 2 days later a few new core.xxx files show up
I use SMF 2 Final

theisz

My host replied with this just a few minutes ago.

Hello,

Please view the SMF bug report http://dev.simplemachines.org/mantis/view.php?id=3805 . This confirms that the issue is with SMF. There is a patch. You can apply it yourself or we can do it for you.

Please advice.

I am running 2.0 RC4 so I don't know if that patch is too old to use on the version I am running.

I don't get them every day, but when I went to checked in file manager to find out where I lost 13gig of storage I found these errors where the culprit and are dated back a while.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

@Theisz, I like the way your host blames SMF on a bug in PHP/PCRE, that SMF has had to work around - but also, as I see it was resolved in 2009, I would believe it to be resolved in your version already. Without checking the logs for rev 9141, I think it was in RC2 or RC3.
SMF in itself doesn't really do memory handling, it mostly  goes by limits set by PHP.

I do suggest you upgrade to 2.0 Final though, and if it still continues then - perhaps we might wish to alert our devs to take a look at it.

@Durr, are the /home/x/public_html/forum/Sources/Subs-Db-mysql.php on line 132 errors coming from an unmodified 2.0 Final?
Could you attach the mentioned file to your next post?
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Durr

File attached
I use SMF 2 Final

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Okay, the file seems to be an untouched copy of the original in 2.0 Final.

Code (Lines 130-133) Select

case 'string':
case 'text':
return sprintf('\'%1$s\'', mysql_real_escape_string($replacement, $connection));
break;

Is this a fresh 2.0 install, or an upgraded one? I'm just trying to think of where to go next...

EDIT: Spuds would probably know better than me - listen to him ;)
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Durr

the core.xxx dump files appear at the exact same time as I got an error_log file with the php warning in it. So I assume they are related. (Although a core.xxx dump does not always appear when the php warning occurs..)

I'll try add that code and see what happens
I use SMF 2 Final

searchgr

It happened to me a long time before and the reason was a mod. Not a host issue.

What are your mods?

theisz

I have a VPS account so mine is not a shared account issue.  I'm upgrading my forum this weekend, but if I am reading this right others with the current forum version are experiencing this issue.

Just as an aside I have an IPB forum running on the same server with no issues and no core dumps so if it were host related wouldn't my IPB forum being experiencing the same issue? I'm just not buying that my host is the issue at this point.

The only mod I am using the Stop Forum Spam one.

theisz

They installed it for me.  I am not savvy enough to do it.  This is the first time I've ever had a VPS so I am new to it. I have a fully managed VPS account so they do all software installs.

I just looked at my sql error logs and there is nothing related to this.  Just a few query time outs.

What do I say to my host to get them to fix it? 

theisz

Upgrading did nothing to fix the issue. 

Joshua Dickerson

What does the core dump say?

Can you tell me what the following outputs:

<?php
print_r
($_SERVER['QUERY_STRING']);
print_r($_ENV['QUERY_STRING']);
echo 
getenv('QUERY_STRING');

What PHP version? Actually, can you just put a phpinfo() file up?
Come work with me at Promenade Group

Need help? See the wiki. Want to help SMF? See the wiki!

Did you know you can help develop SMF? See us on Github.

How have you bettered the world today?

theisz

I posted the core dump text in a post up above.

PHP Version    5.2.15 (cgi-fcgi)

Here is the PHP info.

Thank you.  :)

Joshua Dickerson

Been a while since I did anything with these, but I seem to recall that being the log that states that there are core dumps and then there are actually core dumps which give a backtrace of what happened. Perhaps your host can give you more info on that (or someone around here?)

I doubt you are getting this issue because of PCRE or SMF. It just doesn't seem right.

Your host is saying that SMF is trying to access memory that doesn't belong to it... SMF is in PHP which means that PHP controls its memory. You don't even have any shared memory modules installed (APC, Xcache, etc). As you can see? Huh?
Come work with me at Promenade Group

Need help? See the wiki. Want to help SMF? See the wiki!

Did you know you can help develop SMF? See us on Github.

How have you bettered the world today?

theisz

My host is not any help in this matter.

Perhaps I need to switch my smf forum over IPB since my other forum that uses that is having no issues.  I'm at a loss.  You would think if PHP was the issue my other forum would experience the same thing.

Advertisement: