Possible to block a specific guest from seeing boards?

Started by LynnB, June 28, 2011, 03:31:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LynnB

Since their IP is viewable when they are online as a guest, I thought it might be possible to block them without removing the view boards permission for all guests.

YogiBear

Even if it were possible their IP will change constantly anyway as domestic IP addresses are dynamic (variable) as against static (fixed) plus they could also access your site via a proxy server.

SMF v2.1.3  Mods : Snow & Garland v1.4,  PHP  v.7.4.33

LynnB

I monitor a lot of people and none of them have IP addresses that ever change. And if I could make them use a proxy server to access the boards, that would be enough of a deterrent. So the question is still open.

YogiBear

I see the prob : normally the forum becomes inaccessible only once someone on the IP signs-in then triggers the ban.

Ban the IP in your cpanel - that way the whole site becomes inaccessible to anyone on that IP whilst taking care it doesn't ban other members or worse still yourself (you wouldn't be the first) :)

LynnB

LynnB

Really. The only way I found to block a user takes effect only when they are registered and logged in, not as a guest.

YogiBear

cpanel > scroll down to Security > IP Deny Manager > enter the IP into the provided field > click Add > all done. :)

Advertisement: