[SMF 2.0 final] Trouble with Group memberships

Started by bluejane, June 28, 2011, 05:32:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluejane

Hi everyone,

i need your help here:

Ok, this is the third day i am looking at this problem and my brain must take a wrong turn somewhere because i cannot figure out SMF permissions.
I have been working with other webstuff before (Xoops CMS, vBB) so i thought i should be able to cope with this easily but i don´t.     :(

So my first problem is:

I created a testuser which should have no access to a specific board
- the testuser is in two groups (Regular users by default and "externe(Minecraft)")
- the board i am testing this with is only accessible to the groups "Core members" and (Stars and other games) by definition of the board but still the testuser is able to see it, open it, post in it.
- if i check permissions for the testuser it seems for some strange reason to inherit the "core members" permissions but he is NOT in that group

I will attach a collection of screenshots which might make it easier to follow my description. I made comments to per my thoughts on them next to them.

I must have gotten something terribly wrong and i feel rather stupid at the moment. Please have a look.

Thank you in advance for all replies.   (except the laughs maybe   ;D )

If you need additional details or screens please ask.

Spoogs

Modify the board Admin>> Forum>> Boards>> Modify Boards .... uncheck the post count groups (if you have them checked)

bluejane

That was blazingly fast. Thanks.

However it did not solve the issue. Even after logging the testuser out and in again he can still see it.

[EDIT] If i check his user account again and choose "Show permissions" still for "core members" shows up.

Spoogs

What is 'Core Members'?
I assume a group you created, is it a post count group?

bluejane

Hi Spoogs,

yes thats right. Its another group. I just checked, i definately have no post count groups.

I have added another screenshot of my groups and the definition for "core members" also in my first posting.

(just in case:  have to get to sleep now so my next reply will not be before tomorrow evening, need my five hours of sleep :) )

Spoogs

There must be at least 1 post count group and from the looks of the 2nd attachment there is none at all, that could be the cause of the problem.

Also go to the account settings section of the user's profile and see if by chance Core members is checked as an additional membergroup for that user.

bluejane

Thanks Spoogs,

indeed part of the problem was that there were no "post count groups". Once i created them i had success and my testuser showed as regular member and in Minecraft as it should be.
No long his permissions showed "core members". Also he could only see the board he was supposed to with those permissions now.

Strange enough a new user i created then (equal to the testuser) again became member of the group "core members" if i looked at the permission. However if i looked at his groups the
checkbox for that group was not checked. So partially solved which is good enough for now. I will get back to the issue later down the road, hence for now i will mark this as solved until i do.

Thanks for your fast and successfull help again.    :D

Spoogs

Advertisement: