News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

When Parsing...

Started by IDunc, June 28, 2011, 09:15:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IDunc

Do I parse the files I'm getting errors in first, then install the mod? Or do I install the mod first, then parse the files I get errors in?

Suki

I always do this:

I install a mod, if an error occurs, I don't click the install button, instead go over the files and manually added the code,  once the files have been properly updated, then I click the install button and ignore the warning as i know I edited those files manually.
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

ZerK

sometimes instead of editing the files i just edit the mod or edit the necesary files for make it work  then if i have to uninstall it i dont have to do it manually

IDunc

Most of the time when I manually edit a code to install a mod, it screws up my whole website and I get an error about Load.php or something, and I didn't even edit Load.php. I don't understand why my forum keeps getting screwed up when I manually edit code to install modifications.

Matthew K.

If there are errors, I either install it manually, which is most likely how I do it. Or, I install it via Package Manage ignoring the errors, but noting which edits are the problems, and then complete them manually after it's installed.

By installing the edits FIRST, it could make your forum unusable to complete the edits.

IDunc

Maybe that's why my forum is screwing up. So I should make the edits AFTER I install the package?

Matthew K.

I sure would. ;) Also, might I suggest using a table for your signature so it's not quite so...tall?

IDunc

What do you mean about the table?

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

The way I do it, and the way I see safest is to copy all the failing files to my computer first, before doing anything else.
Then do all the manual edits needed to those files, before installing the mod. When I've done all that, I install the mod with the errors and all, and simply FTP my manually edited files to replace the failed ones on server.

This way you can be sure the mod install didn't do anything to the files you work on, and you know there will not be any doubled edits etc. since the package install did not even touch those files you worked on.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

IDunc

Thank you Lex. I'm going to try that with the three mods I am getting Test Failed's on.

Matthew K.

And what if one of the edits you make before you install the mod relies on something not yet installed? It's possible it could just cause an undefined error, but it could also make it so your forum will not work.

Much more smart to do the edits AFTER the mod installation.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: Labradoodle-360 on June 29, 2011, 12:54:23 AM
And what if one of the edits you make before you install the mod relies on something not yet installed? It's possible it could just cause an undefined error, but it could also make it so your forum will not work.

Much more smart to do the edits AFTER the mod installation.
I guess you misread me - I said I make the edits in advance OFF server, and after the install I upload them on server...
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Matthew K.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

No problem, it happens ;)
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Matthew K.

I've been in front of a computer allll day.
Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on June 29, 2011, 01:02:12 AM
No problem, it happens ;)

IDunc

Thanks Lab and Lex, it seems to be working fine.

Matthew K.

Great to hear, marking topic as resolved!
Quote from: IDunc on June 29, 2011, 01:07:53 AM
Thanks Lab and Lex, it seems to be working fine.

Advertisement: