News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Confused with multiple permission settings

Started by Envy, July 31, 2005, 07:47:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Envy

I'm getting ready to re-open my forums now that I successfully converted over from phpBB, but naturally, want to ensure ALL permissions are properly set so no one can do what they're not meant to. I set permissions per user group, the can post, can view a poll but not create etc. And checking over the forum permissions, it says the same thing.

If I set permissions per group, do I need to set them per forum aswell? Will one overwrite the other? Or, do I need to set both? Set permissions per user group, and per forum section?

P.S. Realised I posted in the wrong section before (Install and Upgrade Help). Sorry :o

Envy

Anyone got any info for me? I tried to search the forums for info, but got an error :

QuoteDue to high stress on the server, the search function is temporarily disabled.

xenovanis

Your basic concern are the permissions for your postcount based groups, including the ungrouped (or regular in 1.1 Beta 3 Public) members.

You only need to set permissions per board if you want to give some groups different permissions in a board. In, for example a testboard, you could give them permission to use certain moderating options, which you wouldn't allow them an any other board.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Envy

Aah ok.

I've already gone through and set the permissions for the user groups. Like Newbie, which has a post count of 0, has the basic. The group that requires 10 posts is able to send PM's etc. The Ungrouped Members group threw me, but I set their permissions under 'Manage Permissions".

Is there anyway I can make the primary usergroup to Newbie (which is the 0 count one), or do they automatically go into that when they register?

xenovanis

Quote from: Envy on July 31, 2005, 08:17:14 AM
The Ungrouped Members group threw me, but I set their permissions under 'Manage Permissions".

How do you mean that?

Quote from: Envy on July 31, 2005, 08:17:14 AM
Is there anyway I can make the primary usergroup to Newbie (which is the 0 count one), or do they automatically go into that when they register?

They will be a newbie as they register, untill they have enough posts to continue to the next group.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Envy

Oh lol, no I meant I went to manage permissions and set it up for what they can and can't do hehe.

I added up the member count under the groups, and they equal the amount that is under ungrouped members. So basically, members are ungrouped, until they are either added to a special group, or post enough to go into a post count group?

xenovanis

Yes, exactly. If you really want to be on the safe side create a testaccount and change the postcount (profile -> account related settings), this way you can track wheter your permissions are set correct.

Envy

Ahh, my tired brain didn't think of something like that hehe. I tested when I was logged out and thankfully guests can't post etc, they can just read, view polls. So far everything looks good member wise too... just wanted to be sure before I unleashed the hordes upon my hard work lol.  ;D

Advertisement: