News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

how to stop spamming?

Started by tvkahani, July 03, 2011, 05:34:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tvkahani

Hey, earlier my SMF was dead due to spammers (people joining with strange ids and emails and posting strange topics)... i had to re do everything but the same thing is happening again.

50% of my users are bots with strange ids. fortunately they arent able to post due to spam thing(they have to enter a code before posting) but this is causing trouble for rest of the members too.

Is there any other way out?

www.tvkahani.com

Illori

have you looked at the anti-spam mods on the mod site?

Martine M

I stopped the spammers with the peoplesign mod I set the difficulty to picking 3 pictures out of 9 and I don't have spammers anymore.
I installed stop spammer to so if one gets through he is recognized as such.

I also have to approve registration.
Running SMF 2.09 - Diego Andrés Theme Elegant Mind - TP 1.0 - Main Forum language English - Browser Firefox 33

Illori

you can also look into the built in anti-spam verification questions, usually those will stop most spammers even without many of the other anti-spam mods.

Martine M

Yes forgot about that, it is indeed a good thing if you can use that.
But because I have a multilingual forum with some people don't understanding a word of the other language I couldn't use it. :(
Running SMF 2.09 - Diego Andrés Theme Elegant Mind - TP 1.0 - Main Forum language English - Browser Firefox 33

rd

Hello,

Here you go: http://forumscripts.info/smf_discussions/stop_smf_forum_spam_26.msg33.html#msg33

Read that and follow the steps! It has stopped spammers in all my forums and forums of other people who have followed the steps listed.

I think step 2 is the most valuable, so take a look and do what it says.

Advertisement: