News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

notify admins when a new members joins, not working?

Started by MacGig, July 03, 2011, 12:43:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacGig

Under registration> settings>   notify admins when a new members joins

I dont think its working, a few joined and I never got an email?

any ideas?  thanks.

rd

Check your spam folder.
Make sure your hosting accounts can send Email through php.

MacGig

nothing in spam folder.

Im pretty sure my host does email via php but how can I find out? is this something I have to check on configure in the forum admin area or in cpanel? guess I can just call them and ask.

rd

Just call them or do a test by creating another user and sending that user a PM from your account. Then see if the Email address used by the other user got a notification through mail.

MacGig

I sent myself a PM message and I got an email notice. but im not getting email notice when new people join.

Sir Osis of Liver

Possible bug?  This is the second thread on this problem in the past couple days.

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

MacGig

I did a test user registration and im not getting emails, even though I turned it on in the admin area... PMs work fine, PM notifications work...

MacGig

I have a test forum, also smf 2.0... no users or posts yet.. it's not sending email when a new members joins there either...

Sir Osis of Liver

Here's the other thread -

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=440513.0

Exactly the same symptoms.  Admin receives other notifications, but not new members, so it's not a mail system or config problem.

- R. Waters

MacGig

just installed another test forum, SMF version 1.13... not getting emails on that either for new members joining. could it be an issue with my host? Ive had the same host for many years, Im certain this use to work...

is the email sent as soon as someone joins, or must they check their email and confirm the account first before I get an email?

Sir Osis of Liver

The notification email is sent after the members activates.

Try doing a test registration with registration method set to Admin Approval.  You should receive an email immediately.

- R. Waters

MacGig

Ok, that makes a difference. no wonder I was not getting emails on my test forum, I was not activating the test accounts...

on the test forum I got the email... after clicking the activate email/link...

but still not getting an email on the other live forum when a user activates.

Sir Osis of Liver

Quote from: Krash. on July 03, 2011, 04:25:54 PM

Try doing a test registration with registration method set to Admin Approval.  You should receive an email immediately.

- R. Waters

MacGig

yep that worked. got the email right away. on my test forum with no users or data.

same settings on the live forum, which was updated to 2.0 from 1.12 or 13, this did not work. did not get the email.

Sir Osis of Liver

So between your live and test forums, the only time you don't get the email is when a member registers and activates on the live forum? 

Are the two forums on the same server?

- R. Waters

MacGig

test forum with no users, email when someone registers works fine it would seem. 2.0 installed from scratch.

live forum, 1300 members.. been active since 2004, SMF updated many times over the years, no mods installed... I'm getting no emails when someone joins.... even if set to admin approval. I had version 1.12 or 1.13, updated to 2.0 a week ago or so..

both are same server/host.

Sir Osis of Liver

Must be something different in the two installs.  Tried it on my 2.0 test forum (originally 1.1.13 -> 2.0 RC5 -> 2.0), and notifications work.  If you receive other notifications, it's not a problem with the server mail system, forum mail setup, admin or webmaster mail addresses. 

Only other thing I think to try is make one of your test members an admin and see if that account receives the emails.

- R. Waters

MacGig

is it possible some files did not get installed completely during the upgrade? are their any files or folders I could try uploading again to see if that fixes it?

Njuskalova mama

Sir Osis of Liver

I'm about out of ideas.  Unable to replicate the problem, can't find the script that sends the emails, and don't believe there's any way to verify whether or not the emails are actually sent.  Unlikely it's a file problem - too specific, and it's not random, as it's happened on another forum.  Only thing else I can think of is try changing the webmaster email address in Server Settings, and the admin email address in Profile.

- R. Waters

Advertisement: