News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Warning System?

Started by austinderrick2, January 04, 2004, 08:10:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

austinderrick2

A warning system for users would be neat.

From another forum I visit's FAQ:
The forum rules show how many warning points are given at the specified offenses. When a user reaches 10 points or more, he/she is automatically banned (length is set by the moderator who sets the warning). However, this doesn't mean that users are free to abuse each other freely knowing that the moderators only hand out warnings and don't ban, as they still have the option to instant ban, should the need arise.

The warning points decay by 1 point per every 7 days without offenses. If a user has more than 10 warning points and the ban expires, the points are kept and at next offense he/she is banned again, until the amount of warning points is below 10, after which it is as normal.

8)

Jeff Lewis

Co-Founder of SMF

austinderrick2

austinderrick2

You should be able to edit the violations and number of warning points before your banned.

[Unknown]

David

Yeah a mod, but one I'd really like to see.
This space for rent.

Anguz

Grudge started something similar for YaBB SE as a mod, but it wasn't points-based, I like the idea

yeah, looks like a mod thing
Cristián Lávaque http://cristianlavaque.com

Grudge

^ I've already ported that MOD to SMF and it's in the charter member area :) It's not the same as this idea though...
I'm only a half geek really...

nil

sounds interesting...  Grudge you would get 1 warning point for Visual Offense. I can barely make out the "I post way too little" under your avatar. lol

austinderrick2

I didn't even notice that till you said something lol... :P

Jeff Lewis

It would be a MOD I'd install on a site or two :)
Co-Founder of SMF

pulpitfire

lol, that thing is hilarious.hahahahhhaaa...can't stop...it's like some refined legal document, detailing an elaborate system of evaluating and penalizing improper posts...hahahahaha...did that come from alt.fan.monty-python?

Surfy

Quote from: Grudge on January 05, 2004, 04:40:24 AM
^ I've already ported that MOD to SMF and it's in the charter member area :) It's not the same as this idea though...

Cool  :)

What happens, if the Beta would be released Public? Does it gives a Mod-Page for SMF?

Surfy

Tyris

There will be a mod page hosted at some point at SMF as far as I know.. its aim would be to list as many tried and tested mods as is possible... however I dont know (and doubt) this will be launched with the first beta... however you can expect the mod writers to post em somewhere.

Tomer

Haha that rule sheet if from www.utopiatemple.com

Im sure, yeah that system is cool... :)

morph

Hm sounds like a good and usefull idea.. Great for a mod. Is anyone planning on working on this? If not I may consider working on this.

Coming soon!

ROGUE-Master

no a warning system is a bad idea. It discourages people from using the forum so they won't post :(

morph

It all boils down to how many users you have and the type of community it is. If it's some site where people run off posting bad things then they should be punished. And this is a better way than banning right off the bat.

Coming soon!

nil

I think it really depends on the forum. 

Forums that are designed for one specific thing like say a tech support only forum may be able to utilize this in a very good way.  Also if you own a forum that is frequently having to ban to talk to people about breaking set rules this may be a great tool to avoid having to do that all the time.

Other forums that really don't care about spam and the like all that much dont need to worry about anything this drastic.

Advertisement: