News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

[Legal Question] Changing SMF's version

Started by HecKel, July 05, 2011, 08:40:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HecKel

Hi!

I have a quite simple question, can I change the version number on my SMF forum? Of course I know I have to keep the credits, but I would like to know if it is any legal restriction regarding the version number / format.

Thanks
Quote from: Eliana Tamerin on August 23, 2008, 04:10:10 PM
SMF 7 is where it gets good. That has time travel. You can go back and post before the guy who flamed you. :P

Illori

if you have 2.0 final you can change the copyright text as you wish, but changing the version number will affect any mods you install in the future. also keep in mind that by doing so you may leave yourself in a position that the team may not support your install.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

You can change the version number, and the number only - on any SMF version to date, to whatever you wish or even remove it completely leaving only SMF.
That would be done by editing the root index.php which holds the version.

But as mentioned, editing it will mean that you will always need to use version emulating to install any modifications through the package manager.

On 2.0 only, you can do what ever you wish to the copyright notice - but we reserve the right to not offer support to those who remove or hide it.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

HecKel

Thanks ;)

That's the answer I was looking for :) We have SMF 2.0 :)
Quote from: Eliana Tamerin on August 23, 2008, 04:10:10 PM
SMF 7 is where it gets good. That has time travel. You can go back and post before the guy who flamed you. :P

Advertisement: