How do I fix this? (Page Errors - A cry for help)

Started by Uhura!, July 06, 2011, 02:09:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiY4Gi

Check out my new website, MyAnimeClub.net. I plan to create the largest anime community, and most fun and user-friendly anime forum in the world. It's still in the development stage though.

Uhura!

I can't install programs on my members' computers. Any other HELPFUL suggestions?
:) Our Parenting Spot is an online parenting community for fathers, mothers, grandparents, teachers, and family service professionals. 8) We also provide low cost advertising options for authors, family service providers, and businesses with family friendly products and services. ;D Visit us @ www.OurParentingSpot.net!

WillyP

Half of pages on the net have errors so I am sure she is getting this message else where. I don't use IE except to test my own pages in IE, but I know it is turned off somewhere. Poke around in the settings and you'll find it. Or search Google for it.

Of course, the right way to fix it would be to fix the code and get valid HTML and JavaScript. Somehow, though, I don't see that happening.  ::)

Uhura!

Quote from: WillyP on August 01, 2011, 08:49:50 AM
Of course, the right way to fix it would be to fix the code and get valid HTML and JavaScript. Somehow, though, I don't see that happening.  ::)

What does that mean? 
:) Our Parenting Spot is an online parenting community for fathers, mothers, grandparents, teachers, and family service professionals. 8) We also provide low cost advertising options for authors, family service providers, and businesses with family friendly products and services. ;D Visit us @ www.OurParentingSpot.net!

[unplugged]

Have her double click on the yellow triangle with the ! and post those details here. That would at the very least point to a possible cause.
« Next Edit: Tomorrow at 08:34:45 PM by SunKing »   <---- « someone stole my sig... :o »

AD/vh

I visited your forum, and noticed no javascript errors.

Based on this, and on other, more subtle cues,  I'm going to go out on a limb and say that she might need to upgrade her version of Internet Explorer.  She can do this by going to microsoft dot com, clicking on the link that says, "I want to get the latest browser", and following the instructions.  (An older browser is more likely to report an error when encountering code it does not understand.)

Uhura!

Here's the error messag she gets when she click's the error icon:

QuoteWebpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; GTB7.1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; InfoPath.1; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)
Timestamp: Thu, 4 Aug 2011 00:10:01 UTC

Line: 178
Char: 8
Code: 0
URI: http://ourmomspot.net/community/index.php?action=post;topic=6684.20;num_replies=28

Uhura!

I am on IE @ work & I attempted to attach a pic. The pic attached; however, I saw a yellow triangle error @ the bottom of the page. I clicked it & here's the error message I got:

QuoteWebpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.30; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.648; .NET CLR 3.5.21022; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET4.0C; .NET4.0E; InfoPath.2)
Timestamp: Fri, 5 Aug 2011 12:07:23 UTC

Line: 191
Char: 8
Code: 0
URI: http://ourmomspot.net/community/index.php?action=post;msg=86771;topic=6684.20

Uhura!

Can anyone help, baed on the errors posted?

Thanks

Uhura!

[unplugged]

I just visited your website as both a guest and a registered member (you may want to shorten what all is required to register IMHO) in IE7 and IE8 and received no errors. Your (her) choices are to disable error reporting in IE (search Google for instructions on doing this), install a browser better able to cope with the errors, or simply ignore the 12px by 12px yellow icon in the lower right corner of her browser.

Quote from: Uhura! on July 27, 2011, 01:23:53 PM
I can't install programs on my members' computers. Any other HELPFUL suggestions?

While you may not be able to install programs on members' computers, you likewise cannot cater to every browser + OS + computer either. In a situation like this, you can politely ask them to upgrade to/install a more manageable browser.
« Next Edit: Tomorrow at 08:34:45 PM by SunKing »   <---- « someone stole my sig... :o »

Uhura!

What about the white screen she gets when she tries to attach pics? It that due to her $hitty browser? She says that Our Mom Spot is the only site she has the issue with.

[unplugged]

In short, yes. Internet Explorer is well known for its......being different, but that's ultimately off topic.

Also, I am in no way obligated to fix your issues, I choose to do so. Sarcasm will not only further your frustration, but it will turn away many who might otherwise assist.

I get the error when posting a message, on the editor page itself. It seems to be associated with your smileys. The one in particular that stands out (and the same line as the error in IE) is your "MI Valentine" smiley.

I hope you can use this information to sort out your problem.

And remember, we are all just volunteers here.

Uhura!

My sarcasm was in response to sarcasm directed at me.

I was not sarcastic with you - so why the effing lecture?

Back off.

[unplugged]

WillyP

Quote from: Uhura! on August 03, 2011, 02:39:47 PM
Quote from: WillyP on August 01, 2011, 08:49:50 AM

What does that mean? 

Take a look at the page in a validator and you will see.

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fourmomspot.net%2Fcommunity%2Findex.php&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline&group=0&ss=1

Uhura!

Angelina Belle

Uhura,

There are multiple HTML errors on the page.
This makes it difficult for anyone to help.
You have problems, probably with a mod, causing the error in your error log.

There is a lot going on with that page. It is very difficult for anyone to figure out your problem.
You seem to have several mods installed.
You would need to approach all the problems, one step at a time, in order to eliminate them.

If you can get the same error, and if you are using IE, you can use the IE developers tools to debug the javascript and find out which piece of javascript (at least which file) is causing the problems.

That would certainly help narrow things down. If you cannot narrow things down, nobody will be able to help you.

Are you interested in pursuing this further?
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. -- Hanlon's Razor

Uhura!

I am very interested in having someone assist me with the errors.

Angelina Belle

One step at a time then.
Your original post was about a javascript error reported by one of your users. you then described another javascript error that you have, in a slightly different situation.

Only registrered users see this error, and only when they are posting. So you might like to create a test account for your helpers to use.
You can even restrict this test account to posting only in a "test" board. That will keep the rest of your forum safe.

If you are willing to do that, then please do so and post again here when this is ready to go.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. -- Hanlon's Razor

Advertisement: