News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

HELP WITH CODING NEEDED! need help with editing/adding navigation bars

Started by rspsloading, July 06, 2011, 03:55:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rspsloading

how do you add or edit navigation bars ? i have pro hosting

SSimple Team

You should explain your question a little better. Not well understood.

Mi Web: SMFSimple.com -

busterone

I believe the "pro hosting" he is referring to is with smfnew.
@rspsloading
You will need to contact the support at smfnew.  Simplemachines.org does not offer any hosting.
http://www.support.smfnew.com/

rspsloading

well i asked for help there but they said this site supports with those kind of problems and helps me with the coding? but my question is how can i change the navigation bars at the top of the page like HOME,FORUM,ADMIN ect? any help?

Illori

who exactly is your host? do you have full access to all your files?

rspsloading

idk who my host is but i got pro hosting which you pay for so you have full access to all files so? i have full access..

Illori

pro hosting is not a host. what is the url to your forum? if it is at smfnew you need to use their support forum as smf does not support their install

rspsloading

my forums is rspsloading.com but smfnew but i asked for support but they said to come here to ask for support on coding with navigation bars

rspsloading

i have full access to FTP, SMF files, phpMyAdmin can anyone tell me how i can edit/add navigation bars im using smf2

Illori

i have deleted your other thread on this topic please keep to one topic per issue.

rspsloading

so no one can help me :S i have been waiting for so long can someone at least give me a link to a guide i have full access to my files and can edit nearly everything! and sorry for the other topic

rspsloading

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this was what i was looking for thank you so much!!

rspsloading

well i edited the help bar and chaned it to donate through filezilla and it updated but i went on site and now it just disapeared and there is no help bar or donate :S? i removed cache

MrGrumpy

When you edited the help button to donate did you actually create a new text string for donate?

When you edit

'title' => $txt['help'],

To

'title' => $txt['donate'],

You need to edit the themes language file and add the $txt['donate'] to it

If the theme doesn't have its own language file (BlackStorm/languages/ThemeStrings.english.php) you will need to create a languages folder in the theme and add the ThemeStrings.english.php in it with your custom language string like
$txt['donate'] = 'Donate';

Plus depending on how exactly you edited the code in subs.php depends on if the button will work.

the possession of knowledge is worthless unless imparted upon others
My Custom Themes
2.0 themes only - I don't do 1.1.x

Illori

actually i am not sure that would work, if the theme does not already call for that file i am not sure it can read it. you can put the text in index.english.php in the default/language folder or you might be able to put it in modifications.english.php.

rspsloading

erm i didt even understand what you said its really confusing erm can you pm me and can we figure a way you can help me out or not?

MrGrumpy

Illori ANY theme can call a custom language file

but i did forget 1 part

To call a custom language file you need to edit index.template.php too

Changing
/* Set the following variable to true if this theme requires the optional theme strings file to be loaded. */
$settings['require_theme_strings'] = false;

To
/* Set the following variable to true if this theme requires the optional theme strings file to be loaded. */
$settings['require_theme_strings'] = true;

My Custom Themes

Illori

right which most themes have that as false so your original suggestion would fail.

MrGrumpy

@Illori - Yes thats why I just said I forgot that bit, sorry I'll try to be more perfect in future.

@rspsloading - what was the code you used for the button, can you post it here please.
My Custom Themes

Advertisement: