News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Cache Caniptions

Started by Clara Listensprechen, July 06, 2011, 09:43:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clara Listensprechen

Okay, so I tried something foolish, attempting to modify the code of a default file just to try something out; I modified a copy of the original, renamed the original, and put in the mod as the working copy. It didn't work and so I renamed the mod to something else and renamed the original to the proper working name.

Every time I hit the Admin button, I get this error:
Template Parse Error!
There was a problem loading the /cache/lang_Admin_english_anecdota_alt.php template or language file. Please check the syntax and try again - remember, single quotes (') often have to be escaped with a slash (\). To see more specific error information from PHP, try accessing the file directly.

You may want to try to refresh this page or use the default theme.
syntax error, unexpected T_STRING

1. The file I copied/altered and then restored to original: default\language\Admin.english.php
2. I modified a copy. I renamed the original and then the copy so that the copy was operational.
3. I emptied the cache.  That was when all my troubles began--couldn't get back into Admin panel.
4. I entered the file management on the host to restore the file to its original condition.
5. Cache errors don't go away, and there's more than one of them.

In the error message that I quoted, it has an option to go to the default theme. When I do that, I get the same error but the parse involves the default theme (Anecdota_alt is the current theme).

If ya don't lecture me about how unsupported 2.0 RC2 is, I'll tell you what my SMF version is. Promise?
All I want is my board back to what used to be normal.  Thank you.

===============

Hehehe...8 views and no replies, so I guess this is a royal puzzler. At least I know this has been read.

Just thought of another question to ask about this puzzler...if I go on my host, go to the cache folder, and delete absolutely everything in it to where it's an empty folder, would that be worth trying or would that cause me more trouble? I've tried deleting all the data files but left the rest...no go...and I'm getting desperate. I really really really REALLY REALLY need to access my Admin panel.

=================

Okay. Very simple, just for now. Is it OK if I manually empty my cache folder completely when I'm on my host's site, yes or no?

==========================

Too late, I'm gonna try it, damn the torpedos. I'll just sort it all out after somebody replies.

==========================

Nope, didn't work, and it's too late for me & my community to wait up. Turning in now..... ZZZZZzzzzzzzz.........
I shall continue to be an impossible person so long as those who are now possible remain possible. {Michael Bakunin 1814-1876}

live627

Can you disable template eval?

Clara Listensprechen

What is it and where do I find it? 

I smooch u a zillion times for responding. My head's sore from banging e-wall. I kiss both your kneecaps and your pinkie ring!

(I would really really really like to know why/how it is that restoring the file to original isn't good enough.....}
I shall continue to be an impossible person so long as those who are now possible remain possible. {Michael Bakunin 1814-1876}

Sir Osis of Liver

It's not a cache problem.  Looks like you're running the Anecdota theme.  Can you get into Admin in default theme?  If you're stuck in Anecdota, you can load default directly by adding /index.php?theme=1 to your forum url.

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Clara Listensprechen

Nope. Can't get in to Admin either way, and I get cache errors for both.

With the files restored to their originals, I can't imagine how anything but the cache would be the problem.

But I'm at the end of my day right now, with an incredible monumental splitting headache. I will certainly revisit this thread first thing in the morning.

live627

Quote from: Clara Listensprechen on July 07, 2011, 12:03:33 AM
Server settings. And I don't have a pinky ring. After you disable eval, reproduce the error again and copy the output here - it should have more details despite being a two liner.

Clara Listensprechen

Quote from: live627 on July 07, 2011, 12:33:02 AM
Quote from: Clara Listensprechen on July 07, 2011, 12:03:33 AM
Server settings. And I don't have a pinky ring. After you disable eval, reproduce the error again and copy the output here - it should have more details despite being a two liner.
Okay, I'm in a better position to work on this today. Is Server Settings in Themes or in Sources? What code am I looking for, or is this a CMOD issue re: disabling? How do I go about disabling a file--rename it or change the CMOD access? Or change which line of code to what?...or do I just turn the line of code into a comment?

Here's a reminder that the Admin panel is inaccessible until this problem is fixed first.

Clara Listensprechen

I figured it out, folks, and fixed it myself. The key to solving this problem was to take the board offline entirely so that the board would stop keeping cache files open. I simply renamed the operating folder of the board to take it offline, then went to the cache, checked the Permisssions, and then emptied the whole thing out...copied the htaccess file from a backup and that was the only file in the cache folder.

I renamed the board's folder back to its operation name, and when I logged back in, everything got to working fine.

It does seem that the CMOD check was a clue, although changing CMOD wasn't the solution--you can't delete an open file while the board is still in operation. Not on GoDaddy, anyway.

This problem is now solved.

Advertisement: