News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

How do you place new members into a default group?

Started by photonstorm, July 07, 2011, 06:18:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

photonstorm

After being slammed with spam we installed SMF 2.0 last night, upgrading the 1.14 version we had. Although the upgrade process was far from smooth (I'll save that for another post) I'd now like to simulate the following set-up, and just can't see how it's done:

1) All new members are placed into a "New Member" member group. This group has post moderation, so any post they make needs to be approved by mods.

2) Once they have made 5 approved posts they change from "New Member" to "Member" and the moderation requirement is lifted.

You'd think this would be quite easy, but it's actually not. For some reason the Default profile lists "Regular Members" as including basically anyone who isn't a mod / admin. So you can't lock down the permissions for Regular Members, as that would effect everyone.

I tried to create a new profile but am still stuck with the same problem in that setting the permissions doesn't allow you to do it on a Member Group basis, it's still all "Regular Members" which covers them all.

Also some other little things:

1) Why doesn't "Member Search" actually tell you how many members it found? :)

2) When you do a complex search and then select some users for deletion, it forgets the search criteria when the page refreshes, this is massively annoying :(

3) How can you configure how many members per page are displayed in the View Members and Member Search areas?

If there is a recommend 2.0 compatible "Member Management" plugin that side-steps the above, then please link me up! But really they ought to be part of the core imho.

Illori

set your regular membergroup to have no posting permissions, and use the post count based permissions to set what you want.

photonstorm

How do you edit Permissions for a Member Group though?

I've got a Post based group called "Member" with "Inherit Permissions" set to "No - Use Unique Permissions" but how do I set the unique permissions for that group?

If I go to "Members - Permissions - General Permissions" it doesn't list "Post count based groups" on there, so my Member account doesn't show - it just has Regular, Founder, etc.

Do you have to perhaps Modify the Boards first, to tell them to use those post-count groups?

Illori

admin -> permissions -> settings enable permissions for post count based groups

photonstorm

Ahh, nicely hidden! Ok I think that all worked - I made the Regular Member have very few permissions and all posts are moderated, then made the 5+ posts Member have the full works.

All I've got to do now is manually purge out the remaining spam bot accounts *sigh* !

Where is the "Edit News" option btw? Have tried looking all over the place.

Advertisement: