News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Query for Traffic

Started by colby2152, July 07, 2011, 10:39:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

colby2152

Quote from: Project Evolution on August 14, 2011, 10:38:14 PM
I see, well im going to have to retest this and fix it up so expect some time for me to do it.

I am curious to know if you have anything updated?  Thanks.
ProFSL.com - Pro Fantasy Sports Leagues - Advanced fantasy sports leagues, contests, free chances at cash/prizes, and sports discussion.

Need a server? I am happy to advocate this hosting solution - hands on customer service and reliability is relieving!!!

ascaland

Here is the entire num_views function again,
function num_views($output_method = 'echo')
{
   global $smcFunc;

// The specified parent board id
   $idboard = 5;
   // The first date
   $timestamp1 = 0;
   // The second date
   $timestamp2 = 9999999999;
   // The boards
   $boards = array($idboard);

// Retrieve all child boards, and child boards of child boards who inherit from parent
   // !! SLOW
   $request = $smcFunc['db_query']('',
  'SELECT requestedBoard.id_board
  FROM {db_prefix}boards AS requestedBoard
  INNER JOIN {db_prefix}boards AS childBoard ON (childBoard.id_parent = {int:parentId})
  LEFT JOIN {db_prefix}boards AS childOfChildBoard ON (childOfChildBoard.id_parent IN (childBoard.id_board))
  WHERE requestedBoard.id_board IN (childBoard.id_board) OR
  requestedBoard.id_board IN (childOfChildBoard.id_board)',
  array(
'parentId' => $idboard,
  )
   );

while ($row = $smcFunc['db_fetch_assoc']($request)) {
   $boards[] = $row['id_board'];
   }

$smcFunc['db_free_result']($request);

// Next, retrieve all the topics in the boards where the timestamp is between two dates.
   // Once found, just output num_views
   $request = $smcFunc['db_query']('',
   'SELECT t.num_views
   FROM {db_prefix}topics AS t
   INNER JOIN {db_prefix}messages AS m ON (m.id_msg = t.id_first_msg)
   WHERE t.id_board IN ({array_int:boards_list}) AND m.poster_time BETWEEN {int:date1} AND {int:date2}',
   array(
   'boards_list' => $boards,
   'date1' => $timestamp1,
   'date2' => $timestamp2,
   )
   );

// Your total number of views in this variable
   $num_views = 0;
   while ($row = $smcFunc['db_fetch_assoc']($request))
   {
   $num_views += $row['num_views'];

}
   if ($output_method == 'echo')
   {
   echo $num_views;
   }
}

As you can see, the timestamps I set to be for any date you would have stored as dates for topics.

colby2152

Thanks.  I did some testing and noticed it counted the views for all topics in one board.  However, I feel there is an issue with the board list.  What I would like it to do is to take one board, count all of the page views (between two timestamps) of all topics in that board, and then perform the same count for all topics in its child boards, and subsequent grandchild boards, and greatgrandchild boards, and great-great-grandchild boards, etc..
ProFSL.com - Pro Fantasy Sports Leagues - Advanced fantasy sports leagues, contests, free chances at cash/prizes, and sports discussion.

Need a server? I am happy to advocate this hosting solution - hands on customer service and reliability is relieving!!!

Joker™

Quote from: colby2152 on August 18, 2011, 10:43:36 AM
Thanks.  I did some testing and noticed it counted the views for all topics in one board.  However, I feel there is an issue with the board list.  What I would like it to do is to take one board, count all of the page views (between two timestamps) of all topics in that board, and then perform the same count for all topics in its child boards, and subsequent grandchild boards, and greatgrandchild boards, and great-great-grandchild boards, etc..

So you want to have separate view count for all level of boards or counts of all child boards(level 1,2,3,4 so on) added up and shown as a single entity, please clarify it.

Moreover, do you really have that much deep child boards? Picking all those deep child boards, counting all boards views and showing it at very last stage can make a heavy load on server.
Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

How to enable Post Moderation

"For the wise man looks into space and he knows there is no limited dimensions." - Laozi

All support seeking PM's get microwaved

colby2152

Quote from: Joker™ on August 18, 2011, 10:53:46 AM
So you want to have separate view count for all level of boards or counts of all child boards(level 1,2,3,4 so on) added up and shown as a single entity, please clarify it.

I want to have the counts of all child boards, and the primary board, for the total views of all topics in those boards between two dates added up for one aggregate number.

Quote from: Joker™ on August 18, 2011, 10:53:46 AM
Moreover, do you really have that much deep child boards? Picking all those deep child boards, counting all boards views and showing it at very last stage can make a heavy load on server.

Understandable.  Deepest levels that I have are four total levels of boards...

Category -> Board1 -> ChildBoard -> GrandChildBoard -> GreatGrandChildBoard

Joker™

Quote from: colby2152 on August 18, 2011, 11:02:28 AM
I want to have the counts of all child boards, and the primary board, for the total views of all topics in those boards between two dates added up for one aggregate number.

Quote from: colby2152 on August 18, 2011, 11:02:28 AM
Board1 -> ChildBoard -> GrandChildBoard -> GreatGrandChildBoard

Still whole query is going to be slow.
Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

How to enable Post Moderation

"For the wise man looks into space and he knows there is no limited dimensions." - Laozi

All support seeking PM's get microwaved

colby2152

How slow?

The numbers from this query are important to me - speed of the report isn't an issue as long as it doesn't overload the server.
If we could cap it off at three levels of child boards then

ascaland

Basically the function above counts as deep as 2 child boards from the parent which makes it to GrandChildBoard, and I made sure it worked perfectly as I tested it a ton of times and triple checked the results. If I were to make this recursively into n amount of child boards, I can assure you it gets slow past 2, because I already noticed running the query was slow even at 2. But I will modify the function again, just make sure this is the last request.

colby2152

I tested it for a board with two child boards.  One of the child boards has a view count of 365 for the timespan.  The other child board has zeo.  The parent board also has zero instead of 365.

ascaland

Quote from: colby2152 on August 18, 2011, 12:40:53 PM
I tested it for a board with two child boards.  One of the child boards has a view count of 365 for the timespan.  The other child board has zeo.  The parent board also has zero instead of 365.

Does the parent board have any topics?

colby2152

Quote from: Project Evolution on August 18, 2011, 12:46:02 PM

No topics in the parent board, so it appears it is only counting the primary [parent] board.

ascaland

Quote from: colby2152 on August 18, 2011, 12:49:33 PM
Quote from: Project Evolution on August 18, 2011, 12:46:02 PM

No topics in the parent board, so it appears it is only counting the primary [parent] board.

So what was the total result when you ran the script?

colby2152

Total result for parent board was zero whereas a child board had 365 for the same dates

ascaland

It should just be outputting a single entire result, are you sure this is being used correctly? Can I have a link to the site your using this on? Is there a form your using which I can use or are you just editting the file?

colby2152

Quote from: Project Evolution on August 18, 2011, 01:18:28 PM
It should just be outputting a single entire result, are you sure this is being used correctly? Can I have a link to the site your using this on? Is there a form your using which I can use or are you just editting the file?

Forum: http://www.profsl.com/smf/index.php?action=forum
Traffic Form: http://www.profsl.com/smf/traffic.html

ascaland

OMG WHY DOESNT THIS CRAP WORK

Illori

there have been posts before of people attempting this stuff and without a major impact to your server it is not possible, do some searching.

colby2152

Quote from: Project Evolution on August 18, 2011, 02:05:55 PM
OMG WHY DOESNT THIS CRAP WORK

Haha... well you were able to collect all hits for one particular board, so that is a start!

ascaland

It just boggles my mind why this wont work since its working perfectly on my testing site. Can you show me the entire PHP script (traffic.php) you currently have on your site?

colby2152

Quote from: Project Evolution on August 18, 2011, 02:36:20 PM
It just boggles my mind why this wont work since its working perfectly on my testing site. Can you show me the entire PHP script (traffic.php) you currently have on your site?

No problem...

<html>
<body>

<?php

require_once('SSI.php');

num_views();

function 
num_views($output_method 'echo')
{
global $smcFunc;

// The specified parent board id
//$idboard = 1;
$idboard $_POST['idboard'];
// The first date
//$timestamp1 = 1310065085;
$timestamp1 strtotime($_POST['timestamp1']);
// The second date
//$timestamp2 = 1312767343;
$timestamp2 strtotime($_POST['timestamp2']);

// Retrieve all child boards who inherit from parent board, include those, then select those who inherit from the previous boards
                // It is possible to have duplicate board ids, however that isnt a problem here
  $request $smcFunc['db_query'](''
 'SELECT childBoards.id_board, requestedBoards.id_board 
 FROM {db_prefix}boards AS requestedBoards
 INNER JOIN {db_prefix}boards AS childBoards ON (childBoards.id_parent = {int:parentId})
 WHERE requestedBoards.id_parent = childBoards.id_board'
  array(
  'parentId' => $idboard,
  )
  );

$boards = array($idboard);
  while ($row $smcFunc['db_fetch_assoc']($request)) {
  $boards[] = $row['id_board'];
  }

// Next, retrieve all the topics in the boards where the timestamp is between two dates.
  // Once found, just output num_views
  $request $smcFunc['db_query'](''
  'SELECT t.num_views 
  FROM {db_prefix}topics AS t
  INNER JOIN {db_prefix}messages AS m ON (m.id_msg = t.id_first_msg)
  WHERE t.id_board IN ({array_int:boards_list}) AND m.poster_time BETWEEN {int:date1} AND {int:date2}'
  array(
  'boards_list' => $boards,
  'date1' => $timestamp1,
  'date2' => $timestamp2,
  )
  );

// Your total number of views in this variable
  $num_views 0;
  while ($row $smcFunc['db_fetch_assoc']($request))
  {
  $num_views += $row['num_views'];

}
  if ($output_method == 'echo')
  {
  echo $num_views;
  }
}

?>

Advertisement: