News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

[smf 2.0] Tagging Members

Started by bedeceived, July 10, 2011, 08:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4Kstore

¡¡NEW MOD: Sparkles User Names!!!

Suki

Not exactly.

That mod does not send notifications and a BBC tag is not exactly the same as tagging, also, parsing the BBC tag everytime it is displayed does consume far more resources than needed, this is specially important on a busy site.
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

4Kstore

I said "maybe can help", hopefully some mod is made following the request of the author of the topic.

¡¡NEW MOD: Sparkles User Names!!!

smartmouse

Any news about tagging members on SMF?

angelclawdust

yes i am extremely interested in this mod
really need its use on my forum

any progress so far with it??

Suki

Well on the mod I'm working on (the one in my sig) I already implemented it, (in the {username} form) it wouldn't be hard to include the tagging on messages too.
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

shazoo!

I would LOVE to have this feature for messages.  I had it for phpbb3 and it was fantastic!!

Gluz

So, there is no news about this mod??, cuz I'm very intrested in something like this, cuz my forum have a lot of activity and is nearly impossible to read all the new post all the days, so the staff need to be PMed a lot to read certain topics and this mod will improve the way we call someone to a specific talk/topic.

Hj Ahmad Rasyid Hj Ismail

monotiz has done this. His mod is called mention. Do search for it.

Marcus Forsberg

That's not entirely the same solution as asked for here (judging from a very quick read through of both topics, that is). Monotiz's mod allows you to tag people in a custom field separate from the post body itself, while the common approach is to be able to simply type @ahrasis for example, without having to type your name in another input field. :)

I was actually working on this a while back and had it working quite darn well. The problem to me is what happens if you uninstall the mod. I had several different approaches in mind, one of which involved automatically converting @ahrasis (using you as an example again :D) to something like [mention]ahrasis,ahrasis,51815[/mention] (your display name at time of tagging, your username at time of tagging, and your ID). The problem there, of course, is that it will look very confusing should you ever uninstall the mod for whatever reason - your posts will be unreadable. Same goes for another idea that had them converted to @[id,username], etc.

I did have an awesome notification system implemented, though. :P

Hj Ahmad Rasyid Hj Ismail

Yup. You are right on that. But, at least monotiz has contributed something to that. Others may want to develop different mod for this.

Well, if you ask me, tagging means referring. If I type @Marcus, I like SimpleNetwork Mod. It should be at it is. But with a tagging mod, it should pm/notify you when that is posted, telling you that you are being tagged specifically in this post. If the mod is removed, then it will be left as it is.

Simple.

luuuciano

The one that does this will be my new god!

No me agradan los foros que no te dejan borrar TU PROPIO usuario, como por ejemplo smfsimple.com.
E incluso te mandan emails no solicitados, de los cuales, quizá, no puedas escapar porque NO te dejan posibilidad a deshabilitarlos (a menos que NO te tengan en su lista negra).

live627

Gryzor

Astennu

Any news? I´d love to have this mod!

mikkiTX

*mikki waits patiently for someone to make her a happy girl and write a mod that notifies the user when they are mentioned in a post*

mikki
all I really want to hear is "Yes Ma'am"...

Arantor

That's great to have, except you need a method to get notified by, which SMF 2.0 doesn't have.

* Arantor Beeblebrox the First waits for himself to finish adding this in 2.1.

Astennu

maybe using a notification system like this one http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2198
and this mentioning people module hxxp:livemods.net/index.php?action=mods#112 [nonactive]

Advertisement: