News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Is it possible to clone a forum?

Started by Lutin, July 11, 2011, 12:45:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lutin

OK I admit it, I Have used a 2.0 RC3 version for a production site, as I was with the 2.0Beta4 actually.  ;)
Now I would like to upgrade to the final version but if possible without losing everything like Posts and without having to make all my members to register again.
The thing is that on top of a theme I have multiple mods installed (more than 20). I won't request for help with everything that could go wrong in such update.
But I would like to know if it is possible to make a clone of my forum where I could make tests to see how it goes.

smtek

If you upgrade you are not going to loose posts , members etc .  The topic to create a test forum is in tips and trick section. Please search it. Im feeling sleepy. Lol.
http://thetekwar.com

^ Your entry to the best tech community

Joker™

Quote from: Lutin on July 11, 2011, 12:45:32 PM
OK I admit it, I Have used a 2.0 RC3 version for a production site, as I was with the 2.0Beta4 actually.  ;)
Now I would like to upgrade to the final version but if possible without losing everything like Posts and without having to make all my members to register again.
The thing is that on top of a theme I have multiple mods installed (more than 20). I won't request for help with everything that could go wrong in such update.
But I would like to know if it is possible to make a clone of my forum where I could make tests to see how it goes.

There are many softwares which gets installed in your PC and give you complete testing freedom. I'm on windows and using "XAMPP" from a long long time.

Just install it import your forum files in it using ftp, place your DB in it and repair the test forum paths using repair_settings.php. Security Tips

For more info you can read this topic.
Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

How to enable Post Moderation

"For the wise man looks into space and he knows there is no limited dimensions." - Laozi

All support seeking PM's get microwaved

Advertisement: