News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Stopping Persistent Users

Started by jeff2081, July 17, 2011, 01:37:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeff2081

Hello all,

I have used smf ever since 1.1.18 I believe, or was it 1.1.8..

I have a tech support forum and have a question. How do you guys stop persistent banned users? It seems they get a new ip or hostname and appear again in a matter of days.

I've looked over the spam mods and saw a couple like bad behavior, project honeypot, stop forum spam, and many others but am curious if these will help do the job? The reason I just don't try it is because to me, I don't see this as spam or bots or anything.

When I do a ban, I check everything including all ip's used in the log and a full ban.

Illori

if the user is getting new ips each time they hit your forum, there is not much you can do. most likely all those ip address would not be found in a database like honeypot so installing that mod would not help with this exact issue.

jeff2081

Quote from: Illori on July 17, 2011, 06:46:45 AM
if the user is getting new ips each time they hit your forum, there is not much you can do. most likely all those ip address would not be found in a database like honeypot so installing that mod would not help with this exact issue.

Is there any other options available?
Any suggestions besides keep doing so until they've lost interest?

Kermit

My Mods
Please don't PM/mail me for support,unless i invite you
Formerly known as Duncan85
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

A. Einstein

Advertisement: