So Slow, its a shame

Started by JG, August 03, 2005, 02:17:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JG

My board runs so slow and sometimes even shows page cannot be found errors. It is redicoulous. This is on a server that servs Vbulletin forum lighting fast without even trouble.

I installed two of these forums..although great and nice and although I spent hours customizing it..
They lag and this will be useless to my site..in fact it will hurt my sites.

Why the heck is it like this? Does anyone else have the same problems.. sometimes the forum is fast and good
..then a few minutes later.. slow and dragging..and then dose not even load the page.

I do not get it. it is not my machine.. my server is very fast and not overloaded at all. It is my own
machine and is loaded with memory.

If someone from suppot can help me I will give you my URK and log in if needed.
Let me know and I will PM you the details.

kegobeer

SMF is optimized to work with MySQL 4.x.  What version of MySQL are you running?  How a site runs is also connected with how the server is configured.  Perhaps you should look into reconfiguring and optimizing your server?
"The truth of the matter is that you always know the right thing to do. The hard part is doing it." - Norman Schwarzkopf
Posting and you (Click "WATCH THIS MOVIE")

JG

Did you read what I wrote? My server runs other forums lighting fast with no problems. Why dont they need me to so any re-configuring and SMF does?

Grudge

JG, we'd be happy to take a look but we need a link/information. Obviously SMF shouldn't run slow - and certainly not slower than a vB installation. To start a link to your forum installation and a phpinfo page would help. I assume you have no mods installed, and your error log is empty? Are you running SMF 1.0.5?

Other things which may be worth checking is that you don't have "Check avatar size each page load" enabled (If on 1.0.5 - it's since been removed). Finally, when it takes a long time to load I assume the load time at the bottom of the page matches the load time you are seeing (i.e it doesn't take 15 second to load but reports only 0.1 seconds)
I'm only a half geek really...

kegobeer

Quote from: JG on August 03, 2005, 02:32:54 PM
Did you read what I wrote? My server runs other forums lighting fast with no problems. Why dont they need me to so any re-configuring and SMF does?

Did you read what I asked?!?

Quote from: kegobeer on August 03, 2005, 02:23:24 PM
SMF is optimized to work with MySQL 4.x.  What version of MySQL are you running?
"The truth of the matter is that you always know the right thing to do. The hard part is doing it." - Norman Schwarzkopf
Posting and you (Click "WATCH THIS MOVIE")

JG

Hi and thanks. SMF is so great and this is why I am so disapointed. This forum software is among the best of the best both feature
wise and support wise. I know that SMF funs fast and trouble free here and I would like the same with my forum without
modifying my server since the other forum softwares run fine without modification.

I have a new install of the latest SMF:

EG

Quote from: Grudge on August 03, 2005, 02:40:58 PM
Other things which may be worth checking is that you don't have "Check avatar size each page load" enabled (If on 1.0.5 - it's since been removed). Finally, when it takes a long time to load I assume the load time at the bottom of the page matches the load time you are seeing (i.e it doesn't take 15 second to load but reports only 0.1 seconds)

would really be worth checking this!

its been the ONLY thing that has EVER slowed any of my SMF forums down!

[Unknown]

There have actually been cases where vBulletin and SMF have been compared on the same server, and vBulletin has not been shown to be better in performance.

I'd guess this is one of the following:
  - SMF is misconfigured; for example, you may have the horrible setting to check avatar size on every display enabled.  If you do, turn it off.  This option has been removed in 1.1.
  - MySQL is misconfigured; just because vBulletin seems to run fine does not mean it is necessarily comparable unless they have the same data and same usage.
  - MySQL is an old or ancient version.
  - you have mods installed which are slowing down SMF's performance.

My first impressions as I see them:

1. You are running an old and insecure version of PHP.  I encourage you to pressure those with the power to do so to upgrade.
2. You are running PHP without an optimizer or accelerator/bytecode cacher.  I strongly recommend the installation of eAccelerator on any server with heavy to moderate PHP usage.
3. You have a custom theme; have you checked the error log to make sure you haven't made typos in it causing significant slowdown?
4. You do not have "Display time taken to create every page" so it is very difficult to tell how long the page takes to load.
5. You have no posts and no data; it is unlikely this is an issue where SMF is at fault, or even where MySQL is old or misconfigured; there's no data, nothing to slow it down.
6. Even your home page, http://www.megastarcity.com/, is slow to respond for me - and it's not even PHP!

I suggest you check the error log first off.  Something is obviously very wrong.  SMF cannot be slow when you have no posts, unless something else is wrong.

-[Unknown]

JG

Megastarcity loads fast. I just did a reboot and that may have slowed it down when you were trying.
The forum is slow.
I posted my php info link so look at it and you will see my settings and version.
Lets get some help here please. I want to use this forum system.

Ben_S

php info does not always report the version of MySQL in use.
Liverpool FC Forum with 14 million+ posts.

JG

It says it right at the top ben...PHP Version 4.2.2

Also sometimes I get Page Cannot Be Displayed.. not page cannot be found.

Someone from Support please address my issue.

Isaac

Quote from: JG on August 03, 2005, 04:03:22 PM

Also sometimes I get Page Cannot Be Displayed.. not page cannot be found.

Someone from Support please address my issue.
Did you even bother to read [Unknown]'s post?

Thunderace

I'm sorry to hear you are having speed problems with SMF. As a long term user and hoster I have never faced issues with speed .. (read it's not the software)

[unknown] has answered and if he has answered, you already have the best advice, follow what he said and check the relevant settings.

Hope you get it sorted m8.

Rob

Ben_S

Quote from: JG on August 03, 2005, 04:03:22 PM

Yes, but I never mentioned php in my post.
Liverpool FC Forum with 14 million+ posts.

JG

Unknown:

I do not have any error in my custom style
The Php Version runs the other forums just fine.
How do I show the load time?
The other forums do not need an optimizer to load normally
I have no posts and data becasue this is new. Imagine how bad it would be with posts and data
My home page is very fast along with the other pages.

Rememebr I am not knocking this forum because I see it loads great for the others.
I just want to it work normally.

tentronik

Does your CMS has something like Search friendly URLs running?

Basicly try to watch the forum alone without any other php technology.

Oh, and did a user reported slow load times or is it just you?

JG

3. You have a custom theme; have you checked the error log to make sure you haven't made typos in it causing significant slowdown?

Where does SMF keep its error log?

JG

Yes I turned on search friendly URLs in SMF. I need that :)

tentronik

I didnt meant those i mean like 404SEF for mambo.

Advertisement: