News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

So Slow, its a shame

Started by JG, August 03, 2005, 02:17:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JG

no I do not use anything else

1MileCrash

Quote from: JG on August 03, 2005, 04:15:26 PM
Unknown:

The Php Version runs the other forums just fine.

about a thousand people asked you this:

WHAT VERSION OF MYSQL IS IN USE?

And you cant really compare like that. Saying "it runs this other software just fine". That's like saying "the snake lives just fine in the desert, why wont the fish?".
The only thing php can't do is tell you how much milk is left in the fridge.

Grudge

JG,

If you want to give me an ftp account to your forum directory I may be able to do some debugging and work out where the slowness is being caused, other than that I don't know what to suggest - as [Unknown] said even out of date MySQL/PHP shouldn't make it *that* slow.
I'm only a half geek really...

Thunderace

I just tried it . .something is hanging in the scripts that you've added to the SMF template imo .. can't tell what it is.

Load a fresh SMF and see how it runs (back up the files ofc)

Sorry I meant swap to default template

Grudge

I assume the server is being restarted or something?

Connection Problems
Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

JG

SMF is causing:

MySQL said:

Too many connections

to my database. this is the problem probably... now It illed everything. i have to reboot again...
Please resolve

JG

Grudge
Thank you SO Much.
I am rebooting now.. I will PM you the ftp info

tentronik

The error log is on the left bottom of the admin forum panel(version 1.1 3p).

Isaac

Quote3.23
That's your mySQL Version, yes?

[Unknown]

Quote from: JG on August 03, 2005, 04:15:26 PM
I do not have any error in my custom style

So the error log is empty, yes?

QuoteThe Php Version runs the other forums just fine.

It does.  I'm not saying this is why SMF is fast or slow.  I am saying it is insecure.  Like saying your door is unlocked.  Go lock it, or find the person who can.

QuoteHow do I show the load time?

I named the option for you; it is in Admin -> Edit Features and Options.

QuoteThe other forums do not need an optimizer to load normally

Again, I did not say it needed one.  I said that your server is not properly configured in the first place.  SMF should run perfectly fine on it with no posts, optimizer or no optimizer, but that does not mean your server is properly configured.  It's like telling you your car is almost out of gas; it needs to be filled, whatever sort of car you use.

QuoteI have no posts and data becasue this is new. Imagine how bad it would be with posts and data

As I already said, this is not caused by that.  Are you just trying to annoy me?  I assure you that will only be counter productive.  If you don't want to use SMF, don't - but I assure you this is a problem on your side and not in SMF.  I'll help you find it, but you have to be civil.

QuoteMy home page is very fast along with the other pages.

It won't even load for me now.

Quote from: JG on August 03, 2005, 04:19:05 PM
3. You have a custom theme; have you checked the error log to make sure you haven't made typos in it causing significant slowdown?

Where does SMF keep its error log?

Admin -> View Forum Error Log.

Quote from: Tippmaster on August 03, 2005, 04:23:21 PM
And you cant really compare like that. Saying "it runs this other software just fine". That's like saying "the snake lives just fine in the desert, why wont the fish?".

It isn't, in this case.  There's something wrong with the configuration of the forum or server, whether or not other software runs fine.  This isn't an issue of snakes and fish.

Quote from: JG on August 03, 2005, 04:29:18 PM
to my database. this is the problem probably... now It illed everything. i have to reboot again...
Please resolve

This means what it says; too many connections are being made to your database.  I've attached a status.php script; please upload it to your server and provide a link to it.

-[Unknown]

JG

Unknown thanks. I appreciate this. I am sorry if I am not coming off a civil..but really, I am and I love this forum. That's why I am trying to get it working for me the way it does for others. In fact I own an extra vb license but I'd rather get this working. It is so much cleaner and has Real features. what a community should be about... community!
I uploaded the file

1MileCrash

i will trade you my SMF license for your vB license.

(to sell it of course)

[Unknown]

Okay... first let me note:

The server is already very much overloaded.

That said, SMF shouldn't be so slow to load even withstanding that.  However, your load averages are "11.28, 9.85, 5.62" which is horribly high, they should be under 2.0.  Memory usage is, luckily, fine... except MySQL clearly cannot keep up with the number of (vBulletin, mind you) queries being sent to it - as I type it has 39 concurrently running processes, which shouldn't be.  This is, mind you, under the same account you have installed SMF under - it could be worse server wide.

However, your server is only getting about 6 queries per second, which isn't very much.

As for CPU usage, httpd is using well over 100% which is clearly a bad thing.  Still, if that software is able to continue on the same server reason dictates that Apache must be free enough to do other things.  Especially as the status script loads fine.

From Grudge's test data it looks like making the connection to MySQL alone - which is one line - takes half a second, which is almost unforgivable.

From this data, it is painfully clear that my suggestions about overall improvements to the server (bytecode caching, MySQL version within the last two major stable releases, etc.) would be of significant and important effect (whether you continue using vBulletin or not.)

-[Unknown]

Kindred

Holy bejezus...   it's a wonder anything is runing at ANY speed with a server load like that!

well, he's done something...
It seems to be running much faster now...    Although I see some definite template errors scattered here and there...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

JG

Holy Crap.. Thats an eye opener Unkonwn!

I just logged an and Grudge did something good because it is MUCh faster now.

1MileCrash

word. it's like blazing now.

Grudge

Right, I took a look at the server and after much debugging found the problem - Server Friendly URL's.

Regardless of what the server may or may not have reported - server URL's were killing the forum. Once I pinpointed it and turned the setting off it started running at a normal speed. So - do not turn on the server friendly URL option! Now, I don't know *why* the option isn't working - but it caused two major problems:

1) The session rewrite function was taking forever, I have no idea why - maybe [Unknown] could suggest why?
2) The server does not support the rewriting of the URL's. If I went to forum/index.php/board,1,0.html it would error. Now I assume this is the server not supporting mod_rewrite or php not running in the correct mode.

Basically, it's working now. I'm no technical expert on mod_rewrite so maybe [Unknown] will see this reply and fill you in on why it's not working. In the mean time at least it should be running at a reasonable speed?

Also, note that MySQL was running very slow but seemed to pick up speed after the first five minutes of my testing :/

JG

Grudge thank you so much. You took time to help me and I appreciate it.

I wanted to have SE friendly URLs because SEs are very important to me.

I will have to upgrade as Unknown mentioned and them I am sure i will be able to use the feature.

Ben_S

Quote from: JG on August 03, 2005, 05:27:53 PM
I wanted to have SE friendly URLs because SEs are very important to me.

In honesty, they make little difference, google et all are more than happy with the standard url's see http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Asimplemachines.org&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:unofficial
Liverpool FC Forum with 14 million+ posts.

Advertisement: