So Slow, its a shame

Started by JG, August 03, 2005, 02:17:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JG

Ben thats good news!

In fact one of the main reasons why I choose SMF is because I found it ALL OVER google! Thats what is important to me :)

tentronik

What is the server feature called which enables friendly search URLs at an appropiate speed?

Thunderace

JG for your info i'm quite into SEO and I have seen 0 difference between my SEO URL SMF forums and non SEO.

SMF is very well spidered.

The search engines move fast and I think they have overtaken this issue personally.

[Unknown]

Quote from: Grudge on August 03, 2005, 05:24:56 PM
2) The server does not support the rewriting of the URL's. If I went to forum/index.php/board,1,0.html it would error. Now I assume this is the server not supporting mod_rewrite or php not running in the correct mode.

It doesn't use mod_rewrite, just Apache's path info.  I should note, however, that there are known bugs in PHP 4.2.x's output buffering, and while SMF generally works around them it's possible that another could have surfaced in this configuration (since basically every option seems to be enabled in the configure?)

I would still, and in light of this information even more, suggest updating PHP.

Quote from: tentronik on August 03, 2005, 05:32:25 PM
What is the server feature called which enables friendly search URLs at an appropiate speed?

"Being configured properly" and "not using CGI mode".  To be fair, I was always against adding this feature into SMF by default because it is so server specific.

-[Unknown]

JG

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You SMF people!

erockza

My forum never use to be slow... it is starting to go slow now... its quite a large one as well sorta.

http://www.ausfx.com/forum [nofollow]

http://www.ausfx.com/status.php [nofollow] Could a dev here please review my status and offer suggestions on my settings and other things.

thanks very much
:)

[Unknown]

Please start new topics for new requests...

You load averages are currently okay, under 0.20.  Swap usage is okay.  You've got zombies, which probably means Apache is segfaulting or quiting unexpectedly most of the time.

MySQL is not configured properly, and the query cache is not enabled.

For me, your forum is very quick to load.  However, the Google ad seems to be very slow, and may be making it feel sluggish.

-[Unknown]

erockza

Where would I go to make sure query cache is enabled? And can only the host config MySQL?
Is there anyway to get rid of the zombies other then a shotgun ... jokes :P
k sorry will post a newy nxt time ;)

[Unknown]

Quote from: erockza on August 05, 2005, 11:59:57 PM
Where would I go to make sure query cache is enabled? And can only the host config MySQL?
Is there anyway to get rid of the zombies other then a shotgun ... jokes :P
k sorry will post a newy nxt time ;)

I'm afraid all of these things can be handled only by your host or with root access.

-[Unknown]

erockza

Load averages:     1.14, 2.46, 2.32
Current processes:    126 (123 sleeping, 2 running, 1 zombie)
Processes by CPU:    httpd (19) 2.2%, [pkgacct (1) 1.1%, (other) (48) 0.9%
Memory usage:    98.363% (1011644k / 1028484k)
Swap: 14.56% (298228k / 2048276k)

This was around 6 on the load averages before... and that memory usage seems to never shift from 98% :S

Question what is the recommend LENGTH of login log ? I have my forum set to show the last 300mins ... is this a bad idea?
Or doesn't it make a difference to forum speed?

Also would any host be able to make mysql run good with SMF .. or is it pretty much hte same procedure for any forum software?

[Unknown]

Quote from: erockza on August 06, 2005, 05:09:28 AM
Load averages:     1.14, 2.46, 2.32
Current processes:    126 (123 sleeping, 2 running, 1 zombie)
Processes by CPU:    httpd (19) 2.2%, [pkgacct (1) 1.1%, (other) (48) 0.9%
Memory usage:    98.363% (1011644k / 1028484k)
Swap: 14.56% (298228k / 2048276k)

This was around 6 on the load averages before... and that memory usage seems to never shift from 98% :S

Memory usage shouldn't move around too much - it's good that swap is low and memory usage is high, although swap is a *little* higher than it should be.  You've still got a zombie there, which isn't good at all.  What's funny is CPU usage is low.

QuoteQuestion what is the recommend LENGTH of login log ? I have my forum set to show the last 300mins ... is this a bad idea?
Or doesn't it make a difference to forum speed?

Doesn't matter at all.

QuoteAlso would any host be able to make mysql run good with SMF .. or is it pretty much hte same procedure for any forum software?

It's pretty much the same - the things I recommend for server configuration would be good for any PHP software you installed on your server.

-[Unknown]

Advertisement: