Additional options for [MOVED] threads...

Started by Douglas, July 31, 2011, 09:15:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Douglas

vBulletin has this, and as much as it pains me to say this, it's a *very* nice (and helpful) feature to have.

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?board=2.0

See the number of moved topics?  It would be nice to have the option of "auto-removing after X time" when creating these move topics. WHT's got this, and their default is to remove after 24 hours.

The length of time should be admin controllable, and the option itself should be put on the actual move page (where you can select to have a move notice or not).

Yes, I've requested this in the past, and will continue to request this feature. :)
Doug Hazard
* Full Stack (Web) Developer for The Catholic Diocese of Richmond
(20+ Diocesan sites, 130+ Church sites & 24 School sites)
* Sports Photographer and Media Personality
* CFB Historian
* Tech Admin for one 1M+ post, one 2M+ post and one 10M+ post sites (last two are powered by multiple servers)
* WordPress Developer (Junkie / Guru / Maven / whatever)

Robert.

I agree. 990/1000 topics in the bug reports board are "MOVED" topics, so I'd like to see it too.

Illori

admin -> forum maintenance -> topics remove all topics not posted in for x days which are moved topic notices

does that work?

Douglas

Yeah, on a manual basis... I'm talking about automated.  On a busy site (SMF, Hogville, etc), the last thing we need to be bogged down with is menial tasks like that.

It would make things a LOT faster to give it some automation options. :)
Doug Hazard
* CFB Historian
* Tech Admin for one 1M+ post, one 2M+ post and one 10M+ post sites (last two are powered by multiple servers)

Douglas

Building on the move functionality further... there needs to be an admin controllable setting whether to post a redirect topic or not (default setting).  I actually have to disable move topic notices by default, so if this could be controlled as an actual setting, that would be great.
Doug Hazard
* CFB Historian

Antechinus

Yeah I'm in favour of this too. From memory this is one of the (too many) things we were thinking of adding to 2.1. Will find the time to sort through that list again. :)

Douglas

Grazie, Antech.... you already have my other wish-list in T&D. THAT, alone, would make SMF stand out heads and shoulders above the rest. And would cause me to upgrade ALL of the big boards I run ASAP
Doug Hazard
* CFB Historian

emanuele

This should be something like a scheduled task + a few options in a setting page...

Would you like to have the possibility to define the removal time on a per board basis?

Quote from: フリーレンジ on July 31, 2011, 09:31:07 AM
I agree. 990/1000 topics in the bug reports board are "MOVED" topics, so I'd like to see it too.
That's not true...
From time to time the first page (and maybe the second) is a bit flooded, but it's just because someone reviewed few topics at once... ;)

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

青山 素子

I agree that an auto-expire on movie notices would be a good thing.

Heck, a more robust system including auto-redirect would be beneficial.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

emanuele

Here it is a test package.

Please note I tested it only very quickly.
Feel free to use it, but consider it a beta version and nothing more than that, so only for testing! (If you say it works, I'll trust you! :P)

Let me know if you think it's working as expected and if it's flexible enough.

For each board you can decide the "cleaning" frequency, then a scheduled task is run at defined (and definable) intervals of time.
The regularity of the task can be defined in admin > config > mod settings where is also possible to define the number of boards processed during each scheduled task (BTW: we should have a nice interface to change scheduled tasks' regularity :P).

Code available also here.

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

numus

Quote from: emanuele on November 18, 2011, 02:53:34 PM
Here it is a test package.

Please note I tested it only very quickly.
Feel free to use it, but consider it a beta version and nothing more than that, so only for testing! (If you say it works, I'll trust you! :P)

Let me know if you think it's working as expected and if it's flexible enough.

For each board you can decide the "cleaning" frequency, then a scheduled task is run at defined (and definable) intervals of time.
The regularity of the task can be defined in admin > config > mod settings where is also possible to define the number of boards processed during each scheduled task (BTW: we should have a nice interface to change scheduled tasks' regularity :P).

Code available also here.

15 minutes? Probably should change that to weeks or days

emanuele

Both these has been added to 2.1 (expire and autoredirect).

At the moment I don't remember any "admin" interface for it though, the option on the move topic page is in fact only the expire time (a dropdown with never, 1 day, 1 week, 2 weeks, 1 month, 2 months).

1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Akyhne

Quote from: emanuele on July 15, 2012, 05:46:59 AM
Both these has been added to 2.1 (expire and autoredirect).
+1

But I can't see you can control how old the MOVED posts should be. There should be an option to click that those topics should be x hours or x days old.
As I see it now, the feature can delete a MOVED topic, right after it's been created.

Antechinus

Doesn't it have the dropdown Ema mentioned? (I haven't looked yet).

Akyhne

Unless there's an option somewhere in the admin center, besides where you change the interval of pruning in the task log, there's no such setting.

Antechinus

Found it. It's on the move topic page:

http://127.0.0.1/2_1_github/index.php?action=movetopic;current_board=1;topic=1.0

It'd probably be a good idea to add an admin option under:

http://127.0.0.1/2_1_github/index.php?action=admin;area=postsettings;sa=topics

That way it could be set once, instead of every time you move a topic. TBH I assumed that's how it would be done.

Advertisement: