News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

new member email

Started by smitch6, August 02, 2011, 04:10:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smitch6

Hi
when a new member joins all the staff get emails :~

is there a way it can be changed so only i get them (ie admin)

thanks
Friendly, reliable web hosting at affordable prices
www.normanboatforum.co.uk l www.PatTesterSuffolk.co.uk

Illori

by default if you select the option only admin get the email, do you have more then one admin user?

smitch6

no all the staff are in the a new group i made called staff well strange

smitch6

i have myself (admin) as senior leader
i then have 3 ppl as senior mods
then 5 ppl as normal mods
and as far as i'm aware they all get new member emails

i have the button ticked that admin should get the emails as obviously i like to get them but my staff have been complaining as lately we have had about 20+ spammers a day trying to join good job i have the spam forum filter working properly :)

Illori

unless they are admin i dont believe that they get the email. maybe they are getting something else.

smitch6

they get the same new member email that i get as far as i know
so everytime a new member joins they get an email

Ozzie

do you have them all in the main admin membergroup ? or do you have them in global mods membergroup? if you have them in admin group they will have same privileges as you ..if you put em in separate groups I.E globalmods group and moderator group respectively and rename those groups to what you wish and then have the usergroup color set to red (or whatever you use) they will for all intent and purpose appear to be admin but not have full privileges like yourself......dont know if this will help you

2000+ games available to download

smitch6

yes i think thats what's happening the system for some reason is picking up that they are admin
even though i have made new groups for them
the privileges are obviously lots higher than a usual member so they have control over other members and i'm wondering if thats why they are getting the emails
the hard bit is finding out what i need to remove lol

Ozzie

just out of curiosity when you 1st made their new user groups did you set their secondary user groups as admin ?? to check this go to one of their profiles and check account settings/ [ show additional groups ] check and see that admin is not ticked if it is that will over ride their mod settings so if so untick that and it should resolve this ( hopefully )

smitch6

there isn't an additional member group set up as admin :(
i just checked and non of them have admin anywhere on their groups
they are all in groups of senior mods or mods

baffling hey lol but really annoying, it's always done it from the 1st day i set the forum up

[unplugged]

Just to clarify that this is what was done:

Go to the profile of one of the non-admin members that are receiving the emails. Select the Modify Profile tab, then Account Settings. You should see their account information, including Primary membergroup and Additional membergroups. To the right of Additional membergroups, click the [ show additional groups ] link and see if any boxes are checked there.
« Next Edit: Tomorrow at 08:34:45 PM by SunKing »   <---- « someone stole my sig... :o »

Ozzie

thanks for explaining that SK  i tend to to take it for granted people know their way around
Quote( to check this go to one of their profiles and check account settings/ [ show additional groups ] )

smitch6

yes thats what i done and admin isn't there in any of them

i have set up dif groups like prayer team, tech, mod, senior mod etc
i am the only 1 with full admin rights

Ozzie

Quotei have set up dif groups like prayer team, tech, mod, senior mod etc
i am the only 1 with full admin rights

so does this mean you have resolved things ? or are we still looking for a solution  :laugh:

smitch6

no i haven't resolved it :(

so help is needed please :)

Ozzie

ok lets give this one a try.... go to admin/registration/settings and untick  Notify administrators when a new member joins if it is ticked and try that,im trying all sorts now  :laugh: im only suggesting this as administrators is plural and it may include mods/staff as they administer also but you as main admin should have all privlages regardless

smitch6

ok i've done that i'll keep you posted as to what happens :)

smitch6

a new member has just joined and no-one got an email even me :(
so that button ob disables the whole feature :~

[unplugged]

Is there any way you can set up a temp admin account for me and PM me the login info? I fully understand if you would rather not ;) but it may help in diagnosing the problem. It is clearly treating them as though they were full admins.
« Next Edit: Tomorrow at 08:34:45 PM by SunKing »   <---- « someone stole my sig... :o »

smitch6

I think i have it sorted
in the permission of the staff i gave them permission to change members etc
the headings for the sections were 'administrate'
i removed these permissions and hey ho as far as i can gather no more emails to the rest of the staff just me :)

i was trying to give my staff as much leeway was possible so they can help out but it seems if they want to help out that way they will get these emails

so it looks like only i can admin the members this way

i'll keep you informed as i've asked the staff to let me know if they get any more of these emails, but the tests i done it looked promising

Advertisement: