News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Site won't load I need help badly

Started by wynnyelle, August 10, 2011, 12:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wynnyelle

I stand corrected on the decent host.

We have a dedicated server, yes.

alex809

OK now i have the answer to this question i just need you to answer a question for me so i can tell you the answer.

What host are you using and when was the site created? were you able to view the website at an earlier time?

has the web host done any updates recently? and who long has it been of not being able to access your site before this thread was created?

if the website was created recently or anything has happened then you will need to wait 24hrs and then try to access the site if you cannot access the website in 24hrs then i would find a new host since if your own web host cant even help you on there own server then they obviously aren't the best host.

some dedicated server hosting that i have found are posted below.
http://www.serverpronto.com/
http://www.singlehop.com/servers/S-ATOM01.php

here is some info on vps servers. from what i understand there better then dedicated servers and there cheaper/
What is a VPS?

A VPS is a Virtual Private Server, which contains most of the same functionality as a dedicated server without the cost. A VPS is essentially, in highly general terms, similar to a Windows partition of your hard disk. VPSs are better than a shared hosting account, because they offer the freedom to install your own versions of the software you need, with as little or as many features as you desire.

Even if you were to max out the resources on your VPS, the other users with VPSs on the same host server would not be affected in any way.

What can I do with my VPS?

Well, to start, you can host things like your own IRC server. Many users purchase a VPS in order to create custom installs of PHP, MySQL and Apache which allow for more flexibility than a shared hosting account; mainly because a shared hosting account has to provide features to many users and thus must be able to cater to most general needs of each user, and cannot possibly be configured to meet each users needs. When you use a VPS, you have the freedom to do what wish, enable or disable what you want or don't want, and more. You can do whatever you want with your VPS, so long as it does not break the law.

Are there Disadvantages to a VPS?

There are a few disadvantages to running a VPS. The biggest, and most obvious, is the learning curve involved for users who are native to Windows, or some other GUI based operating system. Purchasing a VPS is a big step in your Internet repituar, and must be approached tenderly.

x10Hosting provides only unmanaged VPSs, which means that we cannot provide support for any third party scripts, aplications, or software, and and are only able to provide support for hardware issues and if you should accidentally lock yourself out of your VPS. For you, the end-user, means that you should be fairly familiar with Unix and working at the command line.

However, there are some options for our users who are new to Unix. The first, and most obvious, is to open Google in your Web browser, and search for "Unix Tutorials" or "Getting Started In Unix". Read a few articles, check out Freenode (irc.freenode.net) for channels geared toward helping people with Unix or *nix based systems. Many of the basic *nix management commands remain similar from operating system to operating system.

Another such option for those users who have simply out-grown their shared hosting account, is to install a control pannel such as cPanel, which x10 offers for only a few extra dollars a month for the licensing. This is ideal if you're only looking to manage a few Websites and don't plan on delving into working at the Shell. However, it is important to understand that issues may arise outside of cPanel's limited realm of capabilities, wherein you will have to delve into the woeful world of SSH and the shell. The best advice we can give you here at x10 is to learn first, to save yourself the hassel in the future.

Illori

this use did not ask about changing hosts or what a vps vs dedicated hosting is. the forum they have was not created recently it is not a dns issue. also a vps is not better then dedicated as with a vps more then one "server" is running on one server, where with a dedicated server they have full control over the whole box.

alex809

OK.

i dont really care anymore i just suggested that they might want to switch to something that is more dependable because obviously this isn't a good solution and just something to recommend if your paying for a host why would you use free software? i would purchase vbulletin the most powerful forum software out there but thats your choice so not my problem just saying i would recommend a good forum software like vbulletin for a paid host.

Illori

not everyone here likes vb and most that are here like smf for what it is. and 98% of people pay for hosting so what is your point? i have a paid hosting package and i love smf MUCH better then vb any day.

alex809

I know im not saying everyone likes vb im just saying that it is good.

i would also say that i would take a paid forum like vb over smf any day because

1.more powerful
2.faster
3.faster support
4.paid software gets you way more users.

i know that paid software gets you more users because i had a trial unlimited for IPB and i had 3 users in one day witch is good since my site dosn't get very much traffic. in fact i need to get it more advertised so i can get more traffic.Because i have almost 0 traffic and would like to get my website popular.

Illori

if you want paid forum software go to their forum, this is the forum for smf and we dont tell our users to go user other software because of a possible server issue.

alex809

I never said the problem was the software.

im not saying that smf is bad its just slow and isnt the best out there.

Illori

if you think smf is "bad" and can prove so please open a separate thread for your complaint in another board.

wynnyelle

I am not changing from SMF right now, we are sticking with them, that is not the problem, the problem is the right now, I have no site.

live627

As I stated over PM, I think this is a DNS issue. This is certainly not the fault of any scripts on your sever and is probably outside the reach of your host.

Can your webhost confirm your server is operational?
Did you register your domain with someone else other than whoever hosts your site, such as NameCheap? Maybe email them? Maybe heck the status of your domain on your registrar's website?

Sir Osis of Liver

Can somone (Illorii) please clean up this thread so we can try to assist the op?

I agree with previous post.  Have tried to link directly to image files on your forum and get the same thing - nothing.  Your domain appears to be down.  Can you access anything in that domain?

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

live627

QuoteCan you access anything in that domain?
Well, duh, the domain is down. Unless you mean accessing it via IP, which is also down. Or logging in to the host's website and trying to access data that way.

Sir Osis of Liver

Quote from: live627 on August 10, 2011, 08:35:55 PM
Well, duh, the domain is down.

Yes, I might have mentioned that very early on, before this thread turned into a furball.  If nothing works in the domain, then the domain is down, and it's either a server or registrar problem.  I believe we're on the same page with that, and there's nothing can be done here to help.

- R. Waters

wynnyelle

It can...stay a furball, the site issues have been traced through my reseller host to the data centre, and it's really their bungle. Thanks everyone for your help! We will be resolving this ourselves on our end.

thecoo1est

SMF rocks, and yea anytime you know your files are on the server and the site is down, 9 times out of 10 its always the host. youve had the site up and running for a while by the looks of the cached copy of your forum, so its most likely a redirect problem if you use such, or your host is just having problems.

wynnyelle

the site wont loadd..i get this

"Connection Problems
Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later. "

please help...

ChooChoo~

Hey Groovy. I'm on your website with the same username I have here. I came here because

"Connection Problems
Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later. "

kept popping up, so I now know it's not just me.

Sir Osis of Liver

The path to the database is in Settings.php.  Your host may have changed something when they tried to fix the earlier problem.

- R. Waters

live627

Quote from: Krash. on August 14, 2011, 03:17:02 PM

The path to the database is in Settings.php.  Your host may have changed something when they tried to fix the earlier problem.

Actually, no, MySQL locked up and had to be restarted.

Advertisement: