Serious mail activation problem receiving very late

Started by ubaidrehman, August 15, 2011, 09:41:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ubaidrehman

well i have smf 2.0 and was perfectly working in all criteria ! i have hosting from godaddy and 2 forums are posted the second forum is working fine at all but my itokra.com forum email activation is working very late ? means when user try register to my forum he receive email after 2 hours or sometime after 3 hours ?? well i search the smf support but didn't find that if the mail is coming very late than what to do ? please help me !

IchBin™

SMF typically sends the email immediately for registrations. If an email is taking that long, it is like the mail server that is busy processing emails and has put it in the mail queue for delivery, or the email server receiving is busy in the same manner. Either way, it is not something SMF has control over.
IchBin™        TinyPortal

Tomy Tran

Hey UBSman,

Perhaps your forum is large, you need to set your Balance Loading [ at url: http://YourForumDomain/admin/?area=serversettings;sa=loads ] to a higher percent, I think it set low so task to send activation mail must wait to avoid overload your forum.

Good luck,
Tomy Tran.

Ricky.

Well, it also depends upon service provider .. like generally hotmail is the slowest to show mail and gmail is quickest.
Apart of server load stuff, you have to check your email server settings that it meets all requirements of a legit mail server. Yahoo , Gmail, Rediff etc.. every one has their own version but all generally follow same rule..
One such link is : http://postmaster.aol.com/Postmaster.Guidelines.php

It had happened once with me on a server and I had worked on it.

ubaidrehman

i m using the php method to mail ! i check as you say everything is fine so far ?my forum is not big enough ! means my mail server isnt busy at all on the hosting side it seems to be everything fine after all its godaddy ! what i think some kind of linux or may be i m new to php ? means  how i can check my server side ? and what to do next ? i m fad up of waiting my users are greatly disturbing by this ? what to do now ?

ziycon

I wouldn't recommend GoDaddy as a hosting provider but that's a different discussion. Test the time duration it takes to receive the email activation. Register a test account and take note of the time. Now check when the activation email arrives and then take it up with your hosting provider. This way you can prove to them the times, also take screen shots to stop them coming up with excuses.

Alternatively, instead of registering a new test user, just send a 'News Letter' to yourself from the SMF admin interface and use those times to calculate the time it takes for the email to processed and sent/received.

ubaidrehman

so it means i should check my server and hosting provider for that issue ? you guys sure its from hoting provider ? cause i already explain that i have a second forum on the same hosting and it is working perfectly fine immediate mails come from this forum but the itokra.com forum receiving time is almost 3 hours late ??

ziycon

If you try what I suggested above one both forums and compare the times it will give you a much better overview of where the problem may be.

ubaidrehman

Talk with the godaddy they said its normal to have delay 24 hours as i m using shared hosting ! :@ i thought delux is good :/ well is there any other way we could round this thing up fast ?? what about smtp ?

Illori

if you got a non-oversold host you would see very little if any delay on email.

IchBin™

Quote from: ubaidrehman on August 16, 2011, 08:21:31 PM
Talk with the godaddy they said its normal to have delay 24 hours as i m using shared hosting ! :@ i thought delux is good :/ well is there any other way we could round this thing up fast ?? what about smtp ?

If you have an additional SMTP account that you can use give it a try.
IchBin™        TinyPortal

ubaidrehman

Quoteif you got a non-oversold host you would see very little if any delay on email.

I m sorry i apologies  I dont understand this. i am new.

QuoteIf you have an additional SMTP account that you can use give it a try.

I was using phpmail ? what do you mean by additional ? means set up smtp for mailing purpose ??

ubaidrehman

Illori
That was a very nice post ! now i understand .. ..

but isnt there any way to process my mails fast ? remain at this hosting as i buy it for 3 months :( ... any possible way any body can help me out with ??

Illori

if you only have hosting for 3 months move you will not loose much and get more out of a new host.

Ricky.

If your forum is paying to you then consider moving to VPS , that will give you freedom of dedicated box but advantage of shared hosting as most of the time VPS are managed  yet cheap.. or consider buying email services OR you may use Gmail SMTP .

But 24hr delay even on shared host.. totally unacceptable.  Largest delay I saw on shared host was 10 minute :P

Illori

but for someone just starting out with a forum does not need a vps, and the cost is often more then a shared host. i would not push a vps on someone that does not actually have a need for it.

ubaidrehman

QuoteBut 24hr delay even on shared host.. totally unacceptable.  Largest delay I saw on shared host was 10 minute
i can forward you the mail by godaddy it self.

Quoteyou may use Gmail SMTP .
if i use this will it solve my problem ??

Ricky.

Quote from: Illori on August 17, 2011, 08:41:45 AM
but for someone just starting out with a forum does not need a vps, and the cost is often more then a shared host. i would not push a vps on someone that does not actually have a need for it.
But I already said If your forum is paying you .. ie. if you are earning good from your forum to afford a VPS.

Quote from: ubaidrehman on August 17, 2011, 08:43:40 AM
Quoteyou may use Gmail SMTP .
if i use this will it solve my problem ??
Yes, it will solve your problem if you don't have lots of emails traffic. Basically then it will not use your host's email service but will use Gmail instead !

ubaidrehman

oh great Ricky .... ! what an idea !

ok so heres my smtp setting tell me if i m correct ...

i goto mail setting and change phpmail to smtp

at smtp server --> smtp.gmail.com
at smtp pot --> 25
at smtp username --> my username of gmail
at smtp password --> my password of gmail.

Advertisement: