SMF Development > Bug Reports

[4822] I18N issue with $txt['members']

(1/11) > >>

ke:
From Themes/default/BoardIndex.template.php (version 2.0):

--- Code: --- ', $context['common_stats']['total_posts'], ' ', $txt['posts_made'], ' ', $txt['in'], ' ', $context['common_stats']['total_topics'], ' ', $txt['topics'], ' ', $txt['by'], ' ', $context['common_stats']['total_members'], ' ', $txt['members'], '. ', !empty($settings['show_latest_member']) ? $txt['latest_member'] . ': <strong> ' . $context['common_stats']['latest_member']['link'] . '</strong>' : '', '<br />
--- End code ---

In German, $txt['members'] should read Mitgliedern here because the preposition von ($txt['by']) requires dative case. However, with many other occurrences of $txt['members'], the nominative form Mitglieder is required. A correct translation is not possible this way. Other languages probably have similar issues. To fix this, I propose that the above message get its own $txt entry, rather than composing it from many small strings.

Angelina Belle:
The SMF developers and localization team will discuss this. Thanks for bringing it up.

Angelina Belle:
In the example you give, would it also be proper to use dative form of the noun "topics" following the preposition "in"?   (English: "in 23 topics").  If not in German, then how about in other languages, like Slavic and Balkan languages, Hungarian, Armenian, and Greek? (as well as Latin and Sanskrit).

I have reported this as a feature for 2.1 -- to distinguish between nominative and dative case of nouns. It could be tough for English-speakers to remember to get this one right.

poolhall:

--- Quote from: AngelinaBelle on August 29, 2011, 08:20:36 AM ---I have reported this as a feature for 2.1 -- to distinguish between nominative and dative case of nouns. It could be tough for English-speakers to remember to get this one right.

--- End quote ---
there are 6 cases in Russian, even more in some other languages (14 in Estonian, I believe). There must be a more complex solution.

emanuele:
Could you list where these cases are so we can have a more comprehensive view of the problem?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version